We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

buying groceries

New Haven...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Topic
buying groceries

Where do you buy groceries before crossing to St. John?

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,233 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: buying groceries

Our travel group stops at Cost-u-Less to stock up on beverages, eggs, tostito chips, juices, etc. we also bring along lunch meats, cheeses, steaks, breakfast meat, etc from our home.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for St. John, Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
3,156 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: buying groceries

Cost-U-Less and Plaza Extra in Tutu or Food Center on East End. Cost-U-Less is big box, Plaza Extra has good grocery prices and Food Center has a better beer selection.

Cheers, RickG

St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
7,970 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: buying groceries

I was in a grocery store yesterday, and a visitor was looking for Twizzlers, Sugar Babies, and I think, Junior Mints. You won't find those at most stores, so you may want to bring your favorite snack because it might not be available here.

kansas city mo
Level Contributor
19 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: buying groceries

K, thats some good info thanks. I have never been to STT though. Could we catch a taxi to get there from Frenchmans Cove?

Springfield, VA
Level Contributor
1,123 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: buying groceries

Yes, you can taxi to any of the grocery stores from Frenchman's cove. Their is also a Pueblo in between the airport and Frenchman's, not the greatest grocery store, but you can definitively get the essentials until you get the lay of the island.

Edited: 13 July 2015, 00:16
Hurley, New York
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: buying groceries

We are on island now, and although we are not headed to St John, my wife has bee shopping her head off in preparation for the arrival of other family members. Here are her more important observations:

>> Cost-U-Less is definitely the least expensive place to shop. A few prices were lower than what we pay on the mainland! At the end of the day, if they have not sold-out their rotisserie chicken, they refrigerate it and sell it the next day for $1.50. Unfortunately, the (not yesterday's) rotisserie chicken was close to tasteless, as was all the produce that she bought there.

>> Moe's Market has an excellent organic produce section.

Steve

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,174 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: buying groceries

There are plenty of grocery stores on St John. Starfish Market is the largest & also most expensive. We shop are the smaller markets and find (pretty much) everything we need. No need to stop on St Thomas unless you are a large group. That will save a few dollars, but if it's just 2 of you, I wouldn't worry about it.

When we go with a group, I pack a carry-on cooler with meat for our dinners (we are very picky and I buy at my favorite butcher's).

12 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: buying groceries

How do you travel with it on the airplane?

New London, North...
Level Contributor
10 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: buying groceries

Can you take meats on the airplane?

Lisa

New London, North...
Level Contributor
10 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: buying groceries

Does anyone know about the Gluten Free options in the markets - crackers, loaf bread, HB buns, etc?

Thanks!

Lisa

Get answers to your questions about Charlotte Amalie