We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air force 1 tours

Stockton Ca
Level Contributor
3 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Air force 1 tours

We were on the Disney cruise and stopped in St. Marteen and St. Thomas. I did lots of research online and thought we had found the perfect family tour...was I sadly wrong..

When we docked in St. Thomas, and disembarked the ship we were instruced to wait under the tent by the "guard?" The guard then told us "Ok Papa Bear is here....go get on that bus". We got on and the driver asked us if we were going on the tour? We said "Yes" and asked him if he was a driver for Papa Bear...he said "yes and pointed to another man in a green shirt and said "thats him over there". Papa bears bus is full so we would have to ride with this him. DH asked him several times, "but we will still be able to go on the tour that we BOOKED ONLINE right?" The man SWORE we would. So we take off with just the 7 of us. He takes us on this very weak tour with no narration. We made 4 "go buy something" stops, then within an hour he drops us back off at the ship. We are still sitting on the bus thinking "oh he must need to pick up some other folks" Well, he gets out of the driver seat and says "you can get off now"...We were like "UUUMMM this isn't the tour that we booked" He was like "What tour? I don't have a website..I am an independant taxi driver" WHAT? WHAT? DH was like "We asked you if you worked with air force 1 and you said yes." He said "Yes I know Papa Bear and he told me to take you cause he was full, and didnt want to call out another bus, but I don't do his tours". So after DISCUSSING the issue and finding out he was NOT taking us to Coki beach or on any other "real" tour he charged us $175 and said "Have a nice day". The kids were sooo upset and it was sooooo hot that we just all went to go back on board. As we were heading back the guard asked us how our tour went..we told him what happened and he looked us straight in the eye and said "Welcome to St. Thomas" We will NEVER EVER EVER book with Air Force 1 again.

Mentioned in this post
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
U.S. Virgin Islands
Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,242 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air force 1 tours

I'm sorry you had such a terrible experience. Was this an excursion you booked through the Disney cruise people? I can't imagine that they would allow this sort of thing to happen on one of their excursions.

Although it is easy to arrange tours and side trips on your own, I always feel that first timers who only have a day on an island (any island!) are wise to book an excursion through their cruise. The ship excursions are always more expensive, but, if you don't know a place and don't know your way around, it's usually the safest thing to do to have a decent experience.

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
1,264 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Air force 1 tours

If you booked it online, I'd complain through the website.

St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
8,454 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air force 1 tours

It sounds like that driver stole you from Air Force 1. Anytime you book a tour, it's a good idea to get a description of the tour vehicle, the vehicle number or license plate, tell them how they can recognize you, and get them to tell you how you can recognize them. Unfortunately this happens, and when it does you should let the person you originally booked with know, and give that person a description of the vehicle if possible.

If your tour was less than 2 hours, you may be able to complain to the VI Taxi Association.

Stockton Ca
Level Contributor
3 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air force 1 tours

No sadly Disney has stopped doing the island/beach tour. We usually do all our research at home and book our on excursions for cost savings. I guess we should count our lucky stars..in 9 cruises we have only had one really bad experience.

Texas
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Air force 1 tours

I am truly sorry for your experience, however In defense of Papa Bear:

I was on the same tour on the day in question. First I would like to say that the tour itself was absolutely lovely. Papa Bear is a first rate host, showing us the wonderful sights of the island and then taking us for some beach time.

When I booked the tour, Papa Bear sent me an email stating:

"Someone from our "team" will meet you in front of the Disney Magic at 9:30 A.M. On Wednesday September 30th, 2009.

He will be holding a sign with our company name (Air Force One Tours) clearly printed on it.

If you need to contact us before 9:30 am, our local phone number is (340) xxx-xxxx."

And while the email did not state that Papa Bear himself would be meeting us (he did) it does state that the 'team member' would have a sign with Air Force One Tours printed on it. When my sons and I disembarked The Magic between 9:20 & 9:25 he was there with his sign.

Papa Bear held the tour until at least 9:45 as he did not want to leave behind the rest of the folks that he was expecting.

So although the original poster had a bad experience on St Thomas, I don't think that it should sour others from taking an Air Force One Tour. I do believe Papa Bear did everything that he could to make this a great experience for this family and unfortunately there are unscrupulous people in this world that took advantage of the OP and family.

Mentioned in this post
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
U.S. Virgin Islands
St. Thomas, Virgin...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Air force 1 tours

OH MY GOD! THIS CANNOT BE HAPPENING TO ME. Oh no! Why, why, why?

I received a few emails last night that someone posted a (BAD REVIEW) on line about me and my company.

So I told them to email me the link so I can read it and I got the SHOCK of my life!

Papa Bear will NEVER, I mean NEVER, EVER do that to anyone. You MAM are 1000% WRONG.

There's always (Two) sides to a story and now here is the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

On Wednesday September 30th, 2009, the Disney Magic was the (ONLY) cruise ship in port that day. I had 22 people that had booked with me on line for package# 1 the Island Tour and Beach Trips Excursion.

The pickup time for this tour, as (ADVERTISED ON MY WEBSITE) is at 9:30am.

I received a call around 9:00am from one of my good friend who were at the dock and he told me that a few people were looking for me.

I told him to tell them that they (GOT OFF THE SHIP TOO EARLY) and the pick up time was at 9:30am.

When I arrived on the dock at 9:10 for a 9:30am pick up, I was told again that a few people wanted to go earlier and left with another company.

Out of the 22 people that had booked with me on line, (ONLY) 11 showed up.

When I looked at my watch I saw it was 9:30 and I was missing a party of 7 and a party of 4.

I went to my bus I ask those that showed up (ON TIME) and if it was OK with them to wait 15 minutes more because I will missing 11 people.

Everyone on the bus told me that it was OK and I can wait 15 minutes more. I kept the rest of the group waiting till 9:45 and LEFT when the others didn't show up.

The tour guide you went with On Wednesday September 30, 2009 was an "Impostor" and (DOES NOT) work for me or Air Force One Tours.

I (Did Not) send (ANYONE) to pick you up.

I was the only tour guide from my company that worked on that day. He (LIED) to you JUST to get your BUSINESS and you fell for it.

You went with an "Impostor" that (DIDN'T had (YOUR NAME OR THE COMPANY SIGN ON HIS BUS).

I am so sorry that this happened to you. However, you didn't (FOLLOWED THE INSTRUCTION) in the (Confirmation Email) that was sent to you on how we will meet.

Papa Bear

Air Force One Tours

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
1,264 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Air force 1 tours

The information for the Taxi Association so you can register a complaint about the driver you did take the tour with who apparently lied to you is at this link.

http://www.vitaxi.com/id3.html

NJ
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Air force 1 tours

Hi, sftnslky:

I was at the same crusie with you and booked the same tour with Papa Bear. Actually we were waiting together in that tent. We were much early than the scheduled pick up time at 9:30 so we walked around and then we saw you went on a bus and wondering if that wwas Papa Bear and why would you go with them. But the bus pulled away quickly so we didn't have chance to ask. Minutes later, Papa Bear showed up on time and we waited 15 minutes more unitl we realized that your family have gone to a different tour bus. You were definitely being deceived and should file a complaint. They have nothing to do with Papa Bear.

As for our tour, it was great and we had best time. We stopped at many places for scenic view and learned lot of St. Thomas from Papa Bear. I would highly recommend him to anyone.

Daniel

Mentioned in this post
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
U.S. Virgin Islands
Stockton Ca
Level Contributor
3 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Air force 1 tours

I want to clarify a few things. WITHOUT being jumped all over...First of all, we all got off the ship early, we all waited under the tent, we all were told that Papa Bear would be there with the sign. MY FAMILY AND I WERE TOLD by two gentleman...1 being a guard and 1 being the driver that Papa bear was there..which as it turns to find out he was..which I said in the story he was. And that PAPA BEAR had to many on his bus and that we needed to take a second bus. At this point how in the world would I know the 2 people were lying? Our driver even pointed to Papa Bear and said "he is right there". Did we get taken? 100% YES. Did we do anything wrong? 100% NO. Do we still belive that we were passed off to someone else? SADLY YES!! I mean how can two different people [gurard and driver] come up with the same story? Do I think Papa Bear knew we were being passed off? Not 100% sure, but at least 90%, and our bus NEVER left early...in fact it left at 9:42AM Do I have the right to be upset? 100% yes. Will I ever do another non Disney tour in St. Thomas again. NEVER, and I hope my experience will cause others to think twice as well.

Mentioned in this post
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
U.S. Virgin Islands
Northern...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Air force 1 tours

To Papa Bear and the others...

I'm SftnSlky's DH. I think that we were taken advantage of, however, it seems, not by Air Force One. The only thing I can say for sure is that (a) we were in fact there at 9:30 a.m. (actually got off at 9:15 a.m.), and didn't see any team member with signage , and (b) I think the gate guard was in cahoots with whoever took us on our "tour" (mostly a "buy worthless trinkets at my cousin's place drive-around"), and misled us.

May I suggest that AF1 have their tour person there WELL BEFORE the time the tour is scheduled, in order to avoid this from happening again (it obviously happened to more than just us). This would avoid any other unpleasant experiences. You also may want to have a word with the guard at the gate near the tent: he's not doing you any favors by sending us to the wrong bus.

Remember, as tourists, we depend on the professionalism of the vendor to help us get where we need to be and to have a good time--it's your home, not ours, so I would respectfully submit that the onus is on you as a good guest to help make sure misunderstandings like this don't happen. Please take this as the constructive criticism it is meant.

I can't speak for my wife, but I would be willing to give you another chance when we return next year.

Get answers to your questions about Magens Bay