We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

distance to Magen's bay from the cruise port

saginaw, michigan
Level Contributor
39 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
distance to Magen's bay from the cruise port

Would like to know if we could get to Magen's bay beach from the cruise ship without booking a cruise excursion. Could we walk or get a cab there and back?

28 replies to this topic
Water Island, St...
Level Contributor
169 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: distance to Magen's bay from the cruise port

Walk? No

Taxi? Yes - rate is $7-10 per person each way and more info here: vinow.com/stthomas/…

You can arrange your own tour which can include a mixture of locations for not much more than just a taxi ride. One source here: http://www.havefunwithus.net/

Rocky Dock

Water Island

Oroville, California
Level Contributor
688 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: distance to Magen's bay from the cruise port

I was gonna walk to, 'cuz I saw it's only a mile and a half, as the crow flies, but then I noticed there is no road or trail, unless you wanna bushwhack through the rainforest, but IDK how safe that is. I ended up finding the road, and it's about a 4 mile detour, so you're gonna have to take a cab. And I looked at some pictures, and the roads don't have much walking space, so I don't think it's a good idea. Just take a cab.

A cruise exursion isn't neccessary. AT ALL!

@Rocky, PER PERSON? Jesus! What kind of cab driver charges per person? They usually charge only for car. Welcome to the Caribbean.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,487 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: distance to Magen's bay from the cruise port

What kind of cab driver charges per person? A cab driver in the USVI.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
496 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: distance to Magen's bay from the cruise port

I went to Magen's bay on my last cruise. Just grabbed a cab by the port and she drove us to Magen's bay (NOT WALKABLE). It is a beautiful beach with good food, floaties etc for rent and s nice gift shop. I would suggest it. Our cab driver set a time with us and picked us up. It was a perfect day. In fact we are going back this year and plan to do the same thing.

Stanford, California
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: distance to Magen's bay from the cruise port

Our Carnival (Valor) cruise will be arriving in St Thomas Monday - from the research I've done, I'm trying to decide btw Magen's (how is it pronounced BTW)? and Secret Harbor + Duffysloveshack (recommended on cruisecritic)

Goal is to get on a nice beach after breakfast on the ship for some snorkeling then lunch on the beach and some drinks before heading back.

Sounds like Magen's is a nice beach with not much sealife ($5-7 cab ride), and Secret Harbor is better snorkeling but further and beach is not as good and I have no idea about getting from SH to DLS after lunch for drinks (although their drinks menu looks worth finding a way)

Opinions/Advice welcome how to choose Magen's vs SH + DLS in St Thomas?

Thanks!

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,487 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: distance to Magen's bay from the cruise port

Your estimate of taxi fare from either of the cruise ship ports to Magens is a little short - $7-10 per person each way. Fare to Secret Harbour will be $1-$2 more per person. Duffy's is in a parking lot in Red Hook, a very short $4 pp taxi ride from Secret Harbour.

Magens (no apostrophe) is pronounced MAYgens.

Stanford, California
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: distance to Magen's bay from the cruise port

Thanks STTResident, I enjoyed 3 yrs on Bermuda and local advice for getting around the island is much appreciated! In Bermuda we rode scooters - would it be better to hire a scooter for the time in port ?

Still trying to decide whether MAYgens or Secret Harbour will be a better beach experience (beach, snorkeling, lunch, drinks)

Will be there in 3 days!

Cheers!

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,487 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: distance to Magen's bay from the cruise port

YVRSFO: As long as your health insurance premiums are all paid up, your affairs are all in order and you take out an air-lift medical policy then rent a scooter. Just let me know when you're coming and what route you'll be taking so I can stay off the road as I really hate coming slowly around a blind corner on a narrow road and having my heart miss several beats when suddenly finding myself inches away from a scooter-rider!

You'll understand when you get here - VERY far removed from Bermuda's terrain!

Stanford, California
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: distance to Magen's bay from the cruise port

hahaha - advice taken

I only slipped in the rain once on a turn about in BDA - just picked the bike back up and carried on with minimal road rash.

Which beach in your opinion is better for a Monday snorkeling, lunch, drinks stop?

Edited: 07 February 2014, 18:00
St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,487 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: distance to Magen's bay from the cruise port

There are only two ships in on Monday so it won't be too crowded anywhere. Magens is gorgeous and would fit the bill but there's very little snorkeling there. Sapphire is a lovely snorkeling beach but you won't be able to rent chairs or snorkeling gear. Coki is a good snorkeling beach with everything you're looking for but also a lot of vendors. Secret Harbour offers good snorkeling and you can rent chairs from the dive shop but are restricted as to where you can place them in deference to the resort guests (you can park your towels anywhere) - but there's a beach café/bar. If you're determined to hit Duffy's then SH would be the closest with Sapphire and Coki not too far away. Have fun!

Reply to: distance to Magen's bay from the cruise port
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Magens Bay