We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Price info needed - car rental, groceries, etc

Madison, Mississippi
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Price info needed - car rental, groceries, etc

We are looking to rent a house in Magen's bay and are wondering what typical grocery costs are and do we need a rental car?

4 replies to this topic
St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,948 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Price info needed - car rental, groceries, etc

Figure 30% more than you're accustomed to paying and yes, you absolutely should rent a car.

Hurley, New York
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Price info needed - car rental, groceries, etc

I would say that 30 to 40 percent is more typical for food, but, of course it will depend on where you shop and what you purchase.

I concur that you should hire a car, and because many streets and roads are a bit narrow, and in some places parking is tight, you should hire the smallest car that will accommodate you. For a small car, such as a Toyota Yaris or Kia Rio, you should figure just about fifty dollars a day grand total. Try not to get stuck with a Ford Fiesta or Nissan Sentra.

Steve

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Price info needed - car rental, groceries, etc

HI, renting a car is very key. As for food....if you are a planner, you can design a menu and bring some of the items with you. We always bring a coller with frozen meat,things like butter, frozen shrimp. you can bring just about anything with you in the cabin as long as its not liquid.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,193 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Price info needed - car rental, groceries, etc

zandl - Just an FYI for you and all other newbies; you cannot carry-on butter, jars of peanut butter, jelly, mustard, ketchup, mayo, etc. They are considered 'liquids' by TSA. You can however put those items in a checked bag or checked cooler if you choose to bring them. A few years ago my BFF had 2 cans of greens beans in her carry-on. They took those because according tho TSA they had too much liquid in them. They did not take her cans of tuna fish though.

Unless you are going with a group and plan to cook most of your meals or are bringing special cuts of meat/specialty items, just buy everything on island. When we go with a group I do pack a cooler full of meat as my carry-on and a backpack with my clothes as my personal item. Both items are small enough that I can put one under the seat if I have to. If you're taking more than 3 changes of clothes, you're taking too much. STT is very laid back. Shorts, t-shirt and flip-flops are just fine to go to dinner.

Reply to: Price info needed - car rental, groceries, etc
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Magens Bay