We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

kayak ecotours - should we do it?

Santa Fe , New...
Level Contributor
185 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
kayak ecotours - should we do it?

HI, another question: should we do viecotours? They have 2.5 hours tour - kayak and sborkel and 3 hour tour - kayak, snorkel and hike. Is it suitable (or interesting) for 8 years old boy? Also, they have morning and afternoon tours. Does it make a difference whether it is 10 am or 2 pm?

THanks, Karina

Fort Smith, Arkansas
Level Contributor
357 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: kayak ecotours - should we do it?

We did the tour a couple of years back and had a great time. The hike can be pretty intense, not sure I would recommend it for a child because of safety concerns. I think our tour was about 5 hours though and we were in excellent shape but still worn out from everything. Our tour guide was very knowledgeable of the island and sea life. As far as timing, its probably going to be the same tour, just a little more humid for the 2pm tour.

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: kayak ecotours - should we do it?

I don't think they do the long [4-5] hr trip anymore.

The 8 yr. old would do fine on either choice - bring sunscreen, a hat and maybe even long sleeves for the sun - the morning trip will likely not be as hot and humid - depending on the guide this can be a good to truly impressive tour.

St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
8,219 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: kayak ecotours - should we do it?

I've done the non-hike tour twice, and enjoyed it both times. The second time I had to paddle a 7-year old boy, because the family had 3 kids, and the kayaks couldn't hold the third child with his parents and siblings.

He really liked the beach part of it better than the paddling. There's some shallow water for snorkeling or you can venture out near the mangroves, but you'll see lots more fish if you stay in the shallow part. The guides do an excellent job of explaining the value of mangroves, and they do lots of school tours so they make the talk very kid friendly.

It was hot, and some people wore long sleeves to protect themselves from the sun. It started to rain, too, but we just paddled on hoping it wouldn't get too heavy.

The water was very calm both times, because it's a protected area, so it's a nice, easy kayak. Your family should enjoy it. Be sure to take your camera, hopefully a waterproof one.

Santa Fe , New...
Level Contributor
185 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: kayak ecotours - should we do it?

Great! Thank you! So we'll go for it! And will try in the morning.

Harvard, Boston, MA
Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: kayak ecotours - should we do it?

Your 8 year old boy might enjoy the 3 hour tour more. I took my son on the 3 hour tour, and he really enjoyed the hermit crab race and the guides hid some plastic pirate swords, eye patches and gold coins in a cave/crevice at the volcanic cliffs at the geologic blowhole. The walk is only about 8 or 10 minutes along a coral and shell rubble beach and it ends at the cliffs and we got to scramble over some of the boulders into a gorgeous are with tidal pools. The Guides showed us sea urchins and bristle starfish in the waters and we got great photos at the blow hole. I recommend that this would be lots of fun! There is a little bit more excitement and energy with the larger tours and there is usually a Photographer. We bought a photo CD with about 300 photos of the entire tour for $40. The Guides also gave us their Best Of CD free, and it had a few hundred of their best pictures which I used to help my son make a little presentation for his class when he returned home so he could share what he learned. They still do the five hour tour which is a smaller tour and doesn't usually have a photographer on it.

Downingtown...
Level Contributor
306 posts
462 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: kayak ecotours - should we do it?

So tell me, is it more kid oriented? Or appropriate for couples as a fun thing to do?

7. Re: kayak ecotours - should we do it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2010, 06:15