We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wyndham Sugar Bay

Arcadia,Ca
Level Contributor
6 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Wyndham Sugar Bay

I booked a 7 night package at the Wyndham Sugar Bay for mid-August.Along with my wife, I am taking my 2 grandsons (9&10) who are very active.I am now having "buyers remorse" because of all the bad reviews I've read.Some people loved it,and others (a lot),hated it.I went for the AI because it's expensive to feed a family of 4 when you're on vacation,and figured with the money I would save,we could do other things.

I did rent a car,because I'd like to explore the island.

Is the beach at the Hotel that bad ?

Are the staff rude and unattentive ?

Is the food and service that poor ?

Downingtown...
Level Contributor
289 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wyndham Sugar Bay

We were just there in January. We did not do the all inclusive (because it wasn't required at that time), but did have breakfast there one time and had drinks at the bar. Here are my comments....the grounds are beautiful. Our room was nice, nothing spectacular, but nice.

The beach is not as bad as people make it out to be. It is small, but you are right next door to the most beautiful beach on the island (IMO). It's called Smith Bay and I think you may find that a lot of your time will be spent on that beach instead of the resorts. It is very close to the hotel, so it's very easy to go back for lunch, since you did AI. It was a good idea to rent the car! You can't see Smith Bay from the road, but if you are on your way to the hotel from Red Hook, it is the dirt road on the right before you get to the hotel. There is a sign up that says Smith Bay at the dirt road entrance. You can't miss it. Also, you are very close to Red Hook. I recommend taking the car over on the car bardge to explore St. John a day or two. The beaches are exquisite.

As for the staff, (keep in mind I did not interact that much with them) the waiter we had at breakfast when we ate was not friendly or attentive, but it was a buffet breakfast spread, so no need to interact too much. The bar tender by the pool/beach was not that friendly either. The entire time we were on the beach, no one came to ask for drinks. We had to go to the bar ourselves. The bell hops were a little more friendlier, because they are working for tips. So we had no problems with them.

As for the food, the breakfast we had was really good. We are not big buffet people, but it was a very nice spread, We were very disappointed with the bar, as I like mixed drinks. But, I like mixed drinks made by a bar tender, not a machine. And they give you mixed drinks from the machine, sometimes blending two together. We were not impressed.

All in all, I think you will be fine. Don't let the bad reviews scare you. The location is awesome and don't forget to go to Smith Bay and St. John.

Sugar Land, Texas
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wyndham Sugar Bay

I'm going next week (July 31) and will be staying at Wyndham. I too have some reservations, but I think it's good to know in advance about what to expect.

I guess if I come with the basic rules of: no complaints, no frowning, or something like that, I will have a better time. I'm one of those whos' annoy at everything that's not going the way I want, so I'm going to keep repeating the mantra, "relax, you are on vacation!" ;-)

I read a lot of reviews (almost all 999 of them on tripadvisor), ;-) and I think those who enjoy the resort are ones with less expectation. As long as I go in expecting a 3-star treatment, I won't be frustrated which would ruin my vacation. I'll let you know what I think about Wyndham when I'm back, which would be right before you go.

Fishers
Level Contributor
65 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wyndham Sugar Bay

We were there in March. We've been to the island several times but this is the first time we stayed at the Wyndham. We found the hotel to be just fine. Don't go expecting the Ritz because it isn't. It is a nice 3 star hotel. We found the staff to be friendly. The rooms were large but the furniture is starting to get a little dated. But we weren't in our room that much. The beach is small but nice. The pool is fine. The views are beautiful. We enjoyed walking up and down the 99 steps. We got some exercise. There is a shuttle that runs on a regular basis if you don't want to do the steps. the food we had was fine but we also had several meals in Red Hook.

The staff we dealt with was friendly and helpful. We never had to follow up on a request. \

Go and relax and let island time take over. Don't be in a huge rush and don't let the little things get to you. So many people that travel expect Disney World where ever they go. Part of the charm on traveling is everywhere isn't Disney World. Some people are appalled when they have to wait an hour for dinner. Gee I'm on a beautiful island enjoying the wonderful views with family and friends and I'm upset because my meal isn't in front of me in 5 minutes like most fast food places. We say get over it and enjoy!!

Arcadia,Ca
Level Contributor
6 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wyndham Sugar Bay

Thanks do much for the info,it was reassuring to know there are some good things about the hotel.As far as the staff goes,my wife and I treat everyone we encounter nice,and we tip.We've found that if you treat people good,regardless of their station,they'll respond in kind.If you don't,then what can you expect.What about the dinners ? I've seen postings that say you have to get there early,or the food is cold and practically gone.What kind of activities did you see for kids ?

Downingtown...
Level Contributor
289 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wyndham Sugar Bay

I have to comment a little further on the staff. The gratuity is already included on the bill for the waiters and bar tenders. Therefore, they don't make an extra effort, because they know they are getting a tip regardless. We are always very kind to people and usually tip on top of the what the gratuity is that was taken out, but that didn't seem to matter. This was also brought up by others as a problem. Either way, a server/bar tender would not ruin my vacation regardless of whether he was friendly or not.

Fishers
Level Contributor
65 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wyndham Sugar Bay

When we were there in March it had not been converted to all inclusive. We did eat some of our meals there during the day and found all them to be fine. We did several day trips to St John, Magens Bay, Virgin Gorda, etc. (all of which we highly recommend) so we had meals on those days outside of the hotel. We did a few meals in Red Hook and they were all good.

We didn't travel with children so hopefully someone that did will respond. We did see a ping pong table, huge Ginga game, plenty of water activities. We did notice a "game/fun" area by the spa but since it was geared toward children we really didn't check it out.

Sounds like you know how to travel and will be just fine at the hotel. I think your family will enjoy the trip.

Arcadia,Ca
Level Contributor
6 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wyndham Sugar Bay

Thanks for the additional info.One thing I'd like to add is that we have stayed at resorts before that were all inclusive (tips included),but in almost all cases,the staff told us they never get the so called "included gratuities".Maybe that is why the staff are so crabby and unattentive.When we were in Jamaica,the exchange rate was 25 to 1,so if we tipped 4 dollars (US) it was a 100 dollars Jamaican.The people there were so grateful to get the money.If you've never been there,the people are "dirt poor" and it's definately a third-world country.If you have "spoiled"children,take them there,they'll go back home thinking compared to the kids living there,they're living in Beverly Hills.They will definately appreciate what they do have,and be more grateful for it.

Cincinnati, Ohio
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Wyndham Sugar Bay

We too have planned a week at Sugar Bay the second week in Aug and are feeling very nervous about our hotel choice. It's nice to see the good reviews when there are so many bad ones. We have two teenage boys and thought the AI would be a good choice. I do hope the resort looks at Trip Advisor and sees the negative review so they know what areas need some work. All these bad reviews can't be good for business!

Level Contributor
1,452 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wyndham Sugar Bay

It's been a while since we were at Sugar Bay and we really enjoyed our stay. We have talked about returning but haven't made any plans yet. It's good that you have been to Jamaica and were generous with your tipping. As you probably know a smile will get you a smile in return as will giving respect; you give it, you get it. Take the time to engage the staff and ask about their families, their custons, their likes and dislikes. The staff you speak with will recognize your sincere effort to befriend them and will treat you the same. They only have a very short time to gauge the guests and their attitudes and, most of the time spot on. Have a great time and post a report upon your return.............................dan

Boston
Level Contributor
3,086 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wyndham Sugar Bay

I stayed there a few months ago and thought the staffs were generally EXTREMELY slow and forgetful. They'd bring me my room service food order but no utensils. They'd bring beers to my rooms with no bottle opener. My toilet leaks all night but a phone call does nothing so I just turn off/on the main valve as needed. I'd sit at the outdoor restaurant for 30 minutes before someone realize I'm there to come by then another 30 minutes for them to take my order then another 30 minutes for my drink to come (if they don't forget) then another 15 minutes for the food to come. By the third day, I just walk right up to the bar to get my drink and then grab any hostess to order and tell them to leave it at a table. At night it's the same thing at the indoor restaurant; there'll be three waitresses/hostess chatting on the corner instead of bringing my bread or refilling my water. I am not sure if it's the island culture or 15% automatic tip or some union rules that made them so unmotivated but I'd still come back because it's a beautiful and conveniently located resort. That is until I read latest reviews that the staffs are now even more ungracious and angry because the resort's switch to AI caused a 40% drop in their income.

Edited: 25 July 2010, 08:28