We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cost of cases of bottled water

Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
139 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
cost of cases of bottled water

Hi,

We have booked a condo/villa on Sapphire beach for May and wondering if anyone knows if it possible to buy bottles of water in cases (e.g. 24 pack) and estimated cost.

We are used to going to all inclusive resorts where all your food and drinks are included and although we do like having the rum drinks we do typically drink a lot of water as well.

Would greatly appreciate any feedback. We expect Red Hook will be the closest place to purchase water, etc when we are there other than initial grocery shop en route from the airport.

thanks so much

Hurley, New York
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cost of cases of bottled water

I don't know where on Sapphire Beach you will be staying, but if you will be at SBCW, the tap water is superlative--probably much better than anything that comes in bottles. The condominium desalinates ocean water in its own (small) reverse osmosis plant and then adds extremely small quantities of certain chemicals. The water is tested by an outside laboratory (I believe semiannually) and the results are always exemplary. Although I rarely drink water, IMHO it is the best tasting water I have ever had.

That said, when I am on island I much prefer the traditional local drink, also made from ocean or sea, water, which is Rum. It not only is much better tasting, but also is more nutritious.(in that at least it has calories) and creates a pleasant "buzz". Interestingly, the technique for creating it directly .from salt water was developed by a native of St Thomas, who was one of the original owners at SBCW. It can also be used as a relatively inexpensive cleaning product, and does not leave streaks the way water does.

Steve

Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
Level Contributor
4,016 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cost of cases of bottled water

All the resorts on Sapphire Beach feature tap water that is fine to drink.I have been doing so for over 20 years. However some people prefer bottled water and it is readily available in all the markets and restaurants.

I will let some of the locals tell you the best place to shop for water but my guess is that Cost-U-Less is a good choice.

The market in Red Hook, Marina Market, has bottled water but it will not be the cheapest place to buy it.

Depending on how you feel about using bottled water for everything, coffee, drinking, ice, etc, I will tell you that you can go through a lot of water.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: cost of cases of bottled water

You can check with the office at Sapphire or the local telephone directory for bottled water. There are more than two that will deliver to your door at a reasonable cost. I found it better than lugging cases from cost u less or other markets.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
15,261 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cost of cases of bottled water

Dasani 20oz is around $11.29-$12.29/24 at Plaza Extra in Tutu Park Mall/CostULess in Market Square East.

Midwest, USA
Level Contributor
198 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cost of cases of bottled water

We just returned and did buy bottled water. I think it was $6.99 a case for the "generic" brand. Dasani was definetely higher. We bought at Plaza Extra. One day we were in Red Hook and needed some things from the pharmacy and I bought a cold, big bottled water in there and it was around $2.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
621 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cost of cases of bottled water

Incidentally, Desani is also treated tap water, it doesnt come from a natural spring like Poland Spring or Evian

Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
139 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cost of cases of bottled water

Thank you for this suggestion as we were thinking that it would be a lot of lugging as we anticipate buying several cases for the 2 weeks we are there.

Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
139 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cost of cases of bottled water

It seems the cost of a case of water is significantly more costly than in Canada but it is helpful to know, we will budget around this.

We are staying at the Sapphire Beach Resort in Bldg. C. and pleased to hear that many of you find the water is drinkable from the tap.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Stroudsburg PA
Level Contributor
8 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cost of cases of bottled water

Office Max by the Tutu Mall sells cases i think the brand is geyser spring for $4 on sale... they always seem to be on sale.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,153 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cost of cases of bottled water

If you have a sensitive stomach, I would buy a case of water and then a few gallons to refill and freeze the bottles.

We just never take the chance on tap water.