We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sapphire Beach Condos

Cape Canaveral
Level Contributor
159 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Sapphire Beach Condos

I have asked before about these condos and now I am ready to make reservations for August - probably thru VRBO. I have read so many comments on TA about the condition of this resort. Now I am torn. The condos sound lovely and have great views. I dont mind if they are not updated. However, I do mind that most of the facilities are boarded up and closed and the pool is not heated. I would probably spend most of my time in the ocean - but a pool might be nice too. Some of the places listed on VRBO do not have recent reviews. And I wonder why people have not stayed there within the last 3 or 4 months. Any thoughts on this?

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,503 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sapphire Beach Condos

As far as I know pool heating is unheard of in the VI and in August a pool water cooling unit would be more appropriate since the pools tend to get bath-like unless a breeze is constant.

The situation at all the 3 primary Sapphire condo properties, Crystal Cove, Sapphire Village and the Sapphire Beach/Marina Resort have been stable for many-many years. The 4th property, Sapphire House doesn't see a lot of tourist activity. I say stable with the understanding that closed restaurants continue their slow steady decay. It is not by any means a ghost town.

Past reviews, at least anything under a year old are a good indication of what might be expected currently. Some but not all VRBO owner's stop requesting reviews after they' have a good collection of favorable ones. Perhaps they should re-think that stance.

The boarded up feel is more prevalent at the Beach Resort but is easily ignored if you carry a cooler to the beach or avail yourself of the vendors who ply the beach from the Banana Cabana or Sapphire Village Bar and Gill. Crystal Cove and Sapphire Village are both in very good condition.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1,652 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sapphire Beach Condos

If your renting through VRBO I am sure by now you have seen tons of pics to give you an idea of the condition of the buildings. You didn't say which complex your renting in but we have stayed at Sapphire Beach Resort and Marina and have always had a great room. The buildings themselves at SBRM are fine, some complain about the wood woork that needs restained or whatever, but in my opinion there isn't anything wrong with them.

It is true that there is no pool bar nor restaurant at SBRM, but we have so many places we like to eat that we probably would only eat on property once if that. There are two options for lunch so that is not an issue for us either. The pool is, well a pool. Some of the structure of the old restaurant and pool bar are in need of repair but the pool is nice. We were there in March and it was the same temp as anyother pool i've been in in the Caribbean, as others have said, not to many are heated.

The beach is our main reason for staying at Sapphire, the room, well thats for sleeping and thats about it.

Mike in Tulsa

Riviera Maya, Mexico
Level Contributor
7,856 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sapphire Beach Condos

The Sapphire Beach Resort & Marina is the perfect spot to stay in our opinion, it commands the best spot on the bay and has a beautiful beach. The pool bar is in tatters but the pool is gorgeous (heated pools are very rare in the Caribbean & Mexico). As BB once said it's actually quieter in bldg D with the pool bar closed and we liked that, nice to be away from the crowd when on your balcony. We can go into Red Hook or to Iggie's to get that busier bar vibe.

If you rent directly from an owner who provides photos or better yet videos showing what you can expect of the unit you're fine. Those folks who don't - whether because they're renting through the resort or they don't do any research at all - can end up with some nasty surprises.

I can send you contact info for the owner we rented from, gorgeous 2nd floor units and stunning views and a great owner to deal with. Videos show the different units very well. I'm sure there are many other great owners renting there as well.

So believe the good reviews here and on CC as Sapphire is a great spot to land.

Hurley, New York
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sapphire Beach Condos

Please heed the advice in crmorres m's second paragraph.

My opinion is that reviews are more valid than photos, but photos are also worthwhile.

The important thing is to rent DIRECTLY from an owner, fter doing some research. If you rent through a "third party", it's a lot harder to predict what will happen, but I would estimate that the odds of it not being good are at least 80%.

Steve

Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
Level Contributor
4,182 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sapphire Beach Condos

Perhaps I can clear up the pool temperature situation

The pool gets direct sunlight all day and that heats the water to a very comfy ( although too hot for my liking) temperature. However every so often you have. to add water to the pool. That water comes from a cistern under the D building and it is colder water.

If you happen to go to the pool after the cold water has been added it is cooler

I never understand why anyone would go in the pools, unless you had kids with you. The ocean water is about as good as you can get

Regarding reviews, you will get more negative reviews if people are unhappy. I often hear from my renters after there stay to thank me but only a few review on VRBO or TripAdvisor because they have no complaints

Hurley, New York
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sapphire Beach Condos

One of the reasons that you may not be seeing reviews is that visitors don't leave them.

I ask everyone who stays in our condo to leave a review, and I would say that about one in five leave a review.

Steve

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
16,078 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sapphire Beach Condos

"One of the reasons that you may not be seeing reviews is that visitors don't leave them."

That would be a pretty logical observation.

Hurley, New York
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sapphire Beach Condos

Yes it is.

It is not only a logical observation, it is also an observation and it is logical.

In addition,

If more owners requested reviews, there would be more of them.

Steve

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sapphire Beach Condos

We just got back tonight for another stay at Sapphire. We rented vrbo #120968. First floor, corner unit. One view is of the pool and one is of the beach. Great unit. Walk right out onto sand. This condo gets a breeze, which was great. It was building D and it seems like there is more of a breeze, which you will really like.

The pool was really nice. If you're going in August, you shouldn't have a problem.

As far as the property, they are continuously cleaning the beach, the pool, cutting the landscaping and in general it is very clean, expect after a cruise ship :o(

The buildings are right on the water and alot of the building is wood, so it gets weathered, but they are definetly working on it. They're putting new wood railings and and painting. It's a work in progress.

Rumor mill has it that there are a few well known people looking to open a permenant pool bar and restaurant on the property.

Again, as everybody has mentioned, go through vrbo.

Riviera Maya, Mexico
Level Contributor
7,856 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sapphire Beach Condos

We actually found "our" owner through a feedback review here that a previous guest took the time to share. I'm happy to pass our good experience on to others as well. It is a shame more folks who have great experiences don't take a moment to do that but that is typical...