We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bolongo Bay Resort

Long Island
Level Contributor
139 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bolongo Bay Resort

I am planning to visit St. Thomas in mid-February with my wife and teenage son for about six days and we are considering this resort. The reviews of the resort are generally very good. I would just like to know of its location in relation to Charlotte Amalie where all the shops are. Needless to say, that is one of my wife's primary concerns. It would appear that, in order to get around, I would need to rent a car for at least two or three days. I do not relish driving on unfamiliar roads on the left side, but if I have to I will. We would also like to take a day trip to St. John. How far is the Red Hook ferry from the resort if I decide to take a taxi. I would appreciate any info provided.

Petrico

Michigan
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bolongo Bay Resort

Bolongo Bay is about 1/2 way between Charlotte Amalie and Red Hook. Depending on traffic, from downtown Charlotte Amalie to Bolongo Bay takes about 20-25 minutes. From Bologno to Red Hook is about 20-25 minutes as well.

Driving on the island is fairly easy.....especially with the speed limit no more than 35MPH anywhere on the island. Taxi's add up real fast as they charge per person and if shopping per bag as well. Renting a car will save you $$ if you plan on leaving the hotel much. We love having the freedom of having our own car. Bologno is not with in walking distance to any other restaurants ecxept what is on their grounds, so if you want to try any of the other fabulous places you will either need to drive yourself or get a taxi!

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,964 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bolongo Bay Resort

Would add too that the best way to see St John is take your rental car over on the car barge from Red Hook (Hertz doesn't allow it but the others are fine). That way you can pack in all your gear, a cooler, etc. and explore the island to your heart's content without schlepping everything in and out of taxis on both ends. Here are a couple of links which might be of help to you:

Taxi rates:

vinow.com/stthomas/…taxi_stt

and ferry rates and schedules:

www.vinow.com/general_usvi/interisland_ferry

Happy planning!

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
94 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bolongo Bay Resort

We have stayed at Bolongo bay and put our car on the ferry to go to St John's. The other advice is good. Its allot of fun for a day trip. Bolongo is a great place but the beach is not as nice there, so if you rent a car you can see all the beaches on st thomas and st john. Its fun to drive around the island and explore. Driving is pretty easy as you are not driving very fast. We have stayed at Bolongo 4 times and loved it there. We loved Iggy's.

Kansas City, MO
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
1,026 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bolongo Bay Resort

Do rent a car if you are staying at Bolongo.

We were there in July .

Good Points of Bolongo:

All beach toys are free to all guests, regardless of if you are AI or the European Plan.

Iggies is great, lots of fun and entertainment nightly.

Heavenly Days cruises at Bolongo are great, both the snorkeling cruise and the sunset dinner cruise.

If you have a first floor room, you are right on the beach.

Not So Good Points:

Rooms are small and in need of updating.

Beach is not the greatest. Lots of sea grass.

The Lobster Grille (their upscale restaurant) is not very customer service orientated, servers were slow and not very friendly at all.

When you check out you will find an additional $5.00 per day energy surcharge tacked onto your bill.

Bonaire
Destination Expert
for Bonaire
Level Contributor
2,508 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bolongo Bay Resort

I second Memphisbelle's list of pros and cons of Bolongo.

Here are some of my thoughts:

The rooms are barely acceptable, IMO. Think of an outdated roadside motel.

The beach is wide and expansive, but there are much nicer beaches on STT. Bolongo's beach does not have the white sand and clear water of the nicer beaches.

Iggies is indeed a fun place to hang out and have a drink.

Lobster Grille is mediocre and overpriced.

There are many watersports options at Bolongo, and the watersports staff is friendly and helpful.

The onsite dive shop is a huge plus if you are a diver, and the shop owners and divemasters are very helpful and experienced.

The service can be a bit surly at Lobster Grille.

There is virtually nothing in walking distance.

The pool is not great, IMO.

Edited: 17 October 2010, 19:42
Kansas City, MO
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
1,026 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bolongo Bay Resort

luv4travelINJ - Thank you for b ringing up the dive shop. They were great, very friendly, patient, accessible and helped to make a mediocre day much better.

We refused to eat at the Lobster Grille after our first night at Bolongo, with the rude, unfriendly servers and paying 5 star prices for 2 star food and service. Also, very stingy servings.

Petrico, bring buy spray, don't know if the problem is as bad as when we were there in July, but if it is, you will need to wear Deep Woods Off to bed.

New York
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Bolongo Bay Resort

Thanks for all the info provided. It is really appreciated. There is no doubt that I will need to rent a car in order to fully enjoy my vacation. Once again, thanks a lot.

New York
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Bolongo Bay Resort

This message is for Rocky Dock. Experienced difficulty sending a reply to your e-mail address. I will need to do some reasearch on that island. How are the beaches there? I will certainly give it some consideration.

Petrico

Water Island, St...
Level Contributor
169 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Bolongo Bay Resort

It's a great family destination. There are two large areas on Water Island for water activity:

Honeymoon Beach - which is the center of recreational activity on island. Fine white sand with calm waters and good snorkeling to either side. Two vendors provide food and beverages, everything else; chairs, towels, play-toys you bring your own. On weekends quite a few people are on the beach. Weekdays just a handful most of the day except for a hour and a half in the afternoon when day charters bring in cruise ship passengers.

Limestone Beach - is not sandy but a very long stretch of coral on the east, windy, side of the island and is a nature lovers feast.

Check these two sites for further information:

www.waterislandwica.com

http://tinyurl.com/RockyDock

10. Re: Bolongo Bay Resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2011, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about South Coast