We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canceled Villa's and Refunds

Minnesota
Level Contributor
121 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Canceled Villa's and Refunds

Has anyone canceled a trip and received a full refund from the owner? Has anyone canceled and been charged a penalty? I'm still trying to get a hold of my villa owner to cancel and wanted to know what type of reception others were getting.

117 replies to this topic
Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
659 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canceled Villa's and Refunds

read your rental agreement. we did not cancel our trip for january. the home we stay at every year did not sustain any damage and the island will need our tourist dollars. some are completely gone, some have a few broken windows, some have roofs off. did you buy trip insurance? if you did that will give you back unrefundable $. if the house is in good shape move your week to a later time. why would an owner give a refund if the house is good especially if you're coming in 2018.

Edited: 15 September 2017, 14:12
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
6,491 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canceled Villa's and Refunds

Have you looked at what happened to St John? Many houses/villas etc were destroyed. They are trying to evacuate everyone not involved in rebuilding. There is very little food and water. No power to most of the island. Coral Bay is still cut off from town for the most part. The authorities are arresting looters.

Do you really think at this point so close to Irma that it is realistic to expect your villa owner to know what is going to happen to your reservation or your money?

Hopefully you bought trip insurance as that would cover it.

B.

Larchmont, New York
Level Contributor
958 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canceled Villa's and Refunds

i have refunded everyone thru february no questions asked if they want it -- or offered to switch their reservation to later or same week the following year -- have offered refunds to those who want it for later as well -- but asked if they would consider being patient and see where we land in terms of rebuilding and getting the island back on its feet -- i am in coral bay -- cruz bay will probably have power a lot sooner than we do - I think January will still be dicey given what has happened and based on the aftermath of Marilyn in the mid 90's - however, things may prove to happen a lot faster than in the past .... who knows -- ? your villa owner very well may be on island right now and unable to receive emails or phone calls (there is very limited communication ) many villas were completely destroyed and many sustained severe damage -- many people lost EVERYTHING - it's really a miracle that so many escaped with their lives

Roanoke, Virginia
Level Contributor
62 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canceled Villa's and Refunds

Thank you Spinny. It's nice to hear a reasonable answer from the side of the villa owner. I'm still hoping to hear soon from our rental company, but do very much understand the communication limitations.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
659 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canceled Villa's and Refunds

i have heard through restaurant owners we became friends with that because of all the help the islands are getting the power will be back much much faster than marilyn. someone said november and generators are working all the restaurants in cruz bay right now. the gas stations were open on a fb page, the grocery stores too.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,957 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Canceled Villa's and Refunds

I don't have anything to add except I am also anxiously awaiting to hear from our villa rental company. Our trip isn't until February so I have the benefit of time. However, if our villa won't be available, I want to be able to make offer arrangements.

I am curious what will happen if it isn't habitable. The rental contract with the villa company states "Acme Rentals isn't liable for acts of god or weather" so I take that to mean its up to the villa owner to refund our deposit (or not). I really don't want to carry over for another visit in the future because we plan on coming in February no matter what.

Further, I wonder how people will get paid out from trip insurance. I For people with upcoming trips in say December and beyond, if the airport is open, will trip insurance pay for people who want to cancel their trips because the island isn't ready? Having tangled with trip insures in the past, I can see this getting interesting/frustrating.....

Edited: 15 September 2017, 16:09
Knoxville, TN
Level Contributor
474 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Canceled Villa's and Refunds

You may want to check if your villa owner/manager is safe and their location using:

https://irmasafetycheck.herokuapp.com/

If they are safe and stateside, I don't see any reason not to contact him/her, especially if your vacation is coming up soon. If your vacation is a ways off, I would hold out hope that the island will be welcoming visitors by Spring. I was able to contact my villa manager for my trip that's coming up in two weeks, and she very kindly offered to refund the money.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
121 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Canceled Villa's and Refunds

Thank you - that was helpful. I see my villa owners are safe thank goodness! I will try calling them in the next day or two.

The Ocean State
Level Contributor
302 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Canceled Villa's and Refunds

Cleo..we are in the same boat. The villa appears to be heavily damaged, our contract has the same language as yours. We have 12 nights after that rental at Grande Bay which we are keeping (actually extended)as long as there is power. But I do not want a credit for the villa deposit we paid (at Christmas week prices.) I am hoping for a refund. Time will tell.

Edited: 15 September 2017, 17:28
Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
49 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Canceled Villa's and Refunds

We were scheduled for an October 15-23 trip. We were refunded in full by Delta for our flights. I waited to contact the villa owner, who lives in the states, until yesterday. I started an email with my heartfelt concern for all of St. John. I am just sick over all of this. The villa owners are out of the country at the moment and have seen aerial photos of their home in the Chocolate Hole vicinity and it appears to be intact. It is right on the beach too. She has not yet been able to get in contact with the on island managers. She told me she would refund me in full for the full cost of the villa and the Jeep that we rented.

We are going to make a donation to aid St. Johnians instead of taking a vacation this year. We will wait for our beloved St. John to be restored and suitable for visitors. We will rent again from this kind lady. In the meantime, we are sending prayers to all on the island.

Reply to: Canceled Villa's and Refunds
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted