We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

condition of Caneel Bay in 2018

New York
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
condition of Caneel Bay in 2018

Anyone know if Caneel Bay Resort will be open in 2018? We have been unable to get a response.

83 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
99 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: condition of Caneel Bay in 2018

You should be fine at caneel in 2018. Westin and Caneel will probably have the most "outside" resources available and therefore should be up and running by next year.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,956 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: condition of Caneel Bay in 2018

I wouldn't count on caneel being open for winter 2018 (Jan-mar) as some buildings are completely gone (portions on Scott and Caneel beach) roofs ripped off others and the Turtle Bay Estate house suffered extensive damage.

Pa.
Level Contributor
6,033 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: condition of Caneel Bay in 2018

I'm with cleo

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: condition of Caneel Bay in 2018

It's way too soon to know much of anything.

Colorado
Level Contributor
721 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: condition of Caneel Bay in 2018

Cancel Bay was hit really hard. The administration, restaurant and beachfront amenities all suffered substantial damage. I would seriously doubt if they are ready for guests til Xmas 2018 "if" they decide to rebuild at all.

Dedham...
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: condition of Caneel Bay in 2018

News on Caneel towards end of this article:

https:/…story.html

San Antonio, Texas...
Level Contributor
1 post
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: condition of Caneel Bay in 2018

Caneel has some older structures that didnt hold up well. It is also in that class if property (like the ritz-carlton on St Thomas) where if some things are not perfect their brand/rep might suffer. For that reason I would expect it to be the last of the major properties to reopen. Depending on what United airlines allows We will probably delay or december trip to fall 2018 but are not holding our breath that it will be available.

Edited: 25 September 2017, 01:20
Tomball, Texas
Level Contributor
4,359 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: condition of Caneel Bay in 2018

Oh my gosh, that article. :-(

Coral Bay, St. John
Level Contributor
702 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: condition of Caneel Bay in 2018

While not an apples-to-apples comparison ... anybody with bookings for Caneel that wants to visit St John ... consider Estate Lindholm B&B. The owner posted he's shooting for a November 1 post IRMA/MARIA re-opening ... and even if that is optimistic ... you could certainly save your Holiday trip .... www.estatelindholm.com

Concord...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: condition of Caneel Bay in 2018

I have a trip to Caneel scheduled for February, already paid in full. Does anyone know if they are refunding cancellations?

Reply to: condition of Caneel Bay in 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted