We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for February trip

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Advice for February trip

I posted this on another thread but I probably should have started my own. Anyway Im being told by Gallows Point that they and the island will be ready for visitors by Christmas. We have flights and rooms at Gallows booked for February. We really want to come if its possible to have a semi normal vacation. By this I mean the islands restaurants and beaches are about 50% of what we are used to. My wife and I can only get away in January/February so if this is not feasible we will simply change our flights and go somewhere else this year probably here in the states and rebook at Gallows for 2019. Our hearts want to come and spend our money and support our favorite place but we don't have unlimited funds and our vacations take a lot of saving so that we can afford to go. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. David

48 replies to this topic
Bismarck
Level Contributor
116 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for February trip

We are struggling with the exact same question for March 2018. Will be lurking your thread.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for February trip

How about Barbados, Grenada or Curaçao? I can understand that you want a really good vacation when you save so hard for it and look forward to it all year.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,957 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for February trip

OP - we are in the same boat for February. Like you, I will also be watching and awaiting news

Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for February trip

We spent a month in Curacao two years ago and it was fantastic. Stayed at the Marzul Dive resort in Westpunt. Is is a very quiet part of the island. Snorkeling and diving were amazing.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
523 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice for February trip

If you have the flexibility try to wait and see, I think that's great. We were booked for Easter week, and other options throughout the parts of the Caribbean for that week were booking fast. We have very expensive plane tickets that we could change but not refund. So we booked St Kitts (well, first we booked St Croix - then Maria!) Yes it will be different, and yes we'll be back to STJ, but we didn't want to be left with air tickets and nowhere to stay. (As for our deposit on STJ - we will likely roll it forward to 2019). So a lot depends on your situation and options available to you!

Edited: 05 October 2017, 16:16
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
451 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice for February trip

I am due beginning of May and we are actually cancelling our trip. Part of it was to stay on Jost and that is def not happening. We rather just wait a little longer. We are going to visit family in Ireland instead which is another trip we've been wanting to do for a while but kept blowing it off.

Indiana
Level Contributor
180 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice for February trip

Everybody's situation is different. For some they just cannot wait to see how things will be early 2018. We love St. John and travel there every other year. Our next visit will be until 2019 so we do not have to make the decision that some of you have to make. I can just tell you what I would do if I was in this situation. I think I would be as patient as possible and wait for a few more months before making my decision. As long as there was electricity, running water and some restaurants I would still go and help the economy and show my love for Love City. I know that the island will not look the same but there will still be sand, water, sunshine and the beautiful people of St. John.

cohasset, ma
Level Contributor
118 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice for February trip

We usually rent a villa on this island, but this year have rented a catamaran and probably the best way to see St. John and the BVIs under the circumstances. I know the grocery stores and some of the restaurants will be open so we will be there!

Coral Bay, St. John
Level Contributor
704 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice for February trip

Everybody's situation is different .... and travel dates are different ... but I have to believe that STJ will be getting back to "normal" 5>6 months out. There will be lots of big changes ... wider beaches and fewer palm trees. There will, sadly, be fewer businesses. And things will still be beaten up a bit. But, the post-IrMaria STJ will have beautiful white sand and seagrapes and palm trees and snorkeling and old favorites for a bite and a drink and some shopping. While I know that vacation and uncertainty don't go hand in hand ... I know St John won't survive without tourism.

K P
Illinois
Level Contributor
733 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice for February trip

Same situation here, except we are residence club owners at Grande Bay. The waiting is difficult for us too. We are like you, that we can only go in Jan/Feb and it is our one vacation per year. At this point, we are planning on coming. We don't require much, so if we can help economically we will.

Reply to: Advice for February trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted