We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

April 2018 visit

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
April 2018 visit

The villa my husband and I had booked for mid December 2017 survived Irma, but--given the opportunity to move our trip into 2018--we are chose to push it into 2018. There is availability in April...is that too soon? We travel to STJ every few years from CA, and love it. We would love to give back to the economy but want to wait until the island is welcoming visitors. Any and all thoughts welcome. Thanks, in advance.

9 replies to this topic
Cruz Bay, St. John
Level Contributor
20 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: April 2018 visit

Barb

SF is one of my favorite cities and visited often as my old corporate office was located downtown

Yes by all means April 2018 things should be very close to normal and restaurants/bars/beaches will be ready for you with open arms

St. Louis, Missouri
Level Contributor
134 posts
456 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: April 2018 visit

We have airfare booked for May. We haven't booked accommodations yet but are very hopeful that the island will be ready for visitors by then.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
41 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: April 2018 visit

We are booked for April 14-22 providing the villa is back in shape by then. We should know for sure in January.

Will have to wait to book airfare. As long as the villa has power we are going. Beaches will be fine and we snorkel every day. There will be plenty of restaurants open and looks like the vegetation is coming back well.

We want to support the island as they will need tourism to keep people employed.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: April 2018 visit

Thanks, all, for the input. My gut said it would be best to go and spend money on island. But then I've been reading the various posts, and wondering exactly how long it will take for any sense of "normalcy" to return. We've decided to go ahead and confirm our April reservation. golfer082, we'll be on island the week as you (we'll actually be there the week prior, too).

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,924 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: April 2018 visit

Our trip is planned for April 21 - May 11. We know it will not be the same, but we are going if our accommodations are repaired and there is power & water. I'm looking forward to less crowded beaches.

Cruz Bay, St. John
Level Contributor
20 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: April 2018 visit

No offense but you can rub some people the wrong way with the comment “ looking forward to less crowded beaches “

Many here are still without power , using buckets to shower , jobless - homeless .........

Yes enjoy the beach but .................

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
41 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: April 2018 visit

To Barb H:

We are looking to share a boat trip to snorkel one day, maybe visit the Baths at Virgin Gorda. Let me know if you are interested.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: April 2018 visit

Hi, Golfer082, That is a kind offer. Let's stay in touch. I've been to the Baths a couple of times but not in recent years. Might be time to return.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,924 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: April 2018 visit

I meant no offense of any kind. Yes, I feel terrible for everyone living through this. I can't imagine being without power or water for that length of time, let alone, losing everything. My thoughts have been with all the victims since IRMA & MARIA.

My first trip to St John was 1991. We have seen the many changes to the island over the years including more people. I miss being one of maybe 20 people on the whole beach (any beach, anytime of day) and no one playing music right next to us.

We can't wait to visit as planned (fingers still crossed) and spend our $$$ to help the local economy.

Reply to: April 2018 visit
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted