We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

STT airport at full capacity?

Duxbury...
Level Contributor
524 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
STT airport at full capacity?

ACcording to other threads flights are being cancelled because STT airport cannot accommodate them. I saw a brief comment somewhere that the goal is to bring the airport to full capacity by mid December but nothing else. We are very optimistic about our trip in mid April as far as St. John itself, but I am wondering if our biggest problem will be our flights. Our group is on Jet Blue from Boston and Hartford. Has anyone seen any reports about progress being made to restore the airport?

8 replies to this topic
Long Valley, New...
Level Contributor
1,591 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: STT airport at full capacity?

This is the latest I saw, which also indicated mid-December (this may the comment you were referring to).

viconsortium.com/virgin-islands-2/…

Duxbury...
Level Contributor
524 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: STT airport at full capacity?

Thanks EdS. That is where I read it. I guess we will just wait and hope for the best.

Cruz Bay, St. John
Level Contributor
20 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: STT airport at full capacity?

For work flying out of STT every other week and nothing has changed progress wise

Some political BS that local government is fighting about with each other

I know UA and AA are not happy with progress along with some FAA control tower friends we know

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: STT airport at full capacity?

Flew in and out of STT last week. They only have two functioning gates and the computers go down. On my way out, they had to call in our passport information, one person at a time, and then let us proceed through to security.

Springfield, VA
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: STT airport at full capacity?

You should be ok with flights come mid april, the airport now has air conditioning, and things are improving daily.

Cruz Bay, St. John
Level Contributor
20 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: STT airport at full capacity?

Put it this way 65 people missed flights yesterday

3-4 hr long wait time as TSA know is doing wand scan and literally going thru each carryon

No scan machines for people or carryon so it’s a complete Shift Show

Flying out today Thanksgiving 45 minutes TSA

3 minutes customs

Cruz Bay, St. John
Level Contributor
20 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: STT airport at full capacity?

Passenger screening delays caused some passengers to miss their flights at the Cyril E. King Airport yesterday, announced Virgin Islands Port Authority Assistant Executive Director Damian Cartwright. A new temporary arrangement of the Transportation Security Administration caused hours-long delays for passengers entering the screening area. TSA employee shortages and manual screening of passengers in the temporary area further delayed the process.

TSA was relocated from a smaller area of the terminal that had machines to allow for repairs this week and was moved to the entrance of pre-clearance area where screening was being done manually. Cartwright said that this relocation was discussed with and approved by TSA officials prior to the move and VIPA was assured that it would not create any major complications.

Some delays were anticipated and we advised travelers to arrive as early as possible for their flights, said Cartwright. “It is unfortunate that people missed their flights and on behalf of the Port Authority, I sincerely apologize to all who were affected. CEKA was seriously damaged during the hurricanes in September and we have been able to reopen the terminal while we make repairs. However, in an active facility temporary relocations of services are necessary for us to facilitate these repairs and simultaneously allow travel,” he said.

He advised the public to arrive three to four hours prior to their flights to allow enough time for passenger screening. This temporary arrangement should last about eight more days before TSA is relocated to their normal area and utilize machines to scan travelers. VIPA plans to be able to resume normal operations by mid-December 2017, Cartwright added.

Cruz Bay, St. John
Level Contributor
357 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: STT airport at full capacity?

There were more than 100 passengers on American flight 1391 that missed their flights yesterday due to the airport’s ineptitude. I was one of them. I waited for near four hours in the security line and never stepped foot in the airport. It was a complete mess. Many missed Thanksgiving with their families because of it. It was a major disappointment. The VI government needs to do better.

Reply to: STT airport at full capacity?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted