We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Villa Suggestions/Help

usa
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Villa Suggestions/Help

We will be traveling to St John next summer and are trying to narrow our villa choices :). We will have 2 adults and 2 teens and would like a pool and a/c in bedrooms and of course great views. Any thoughts/experiences on these villas would be greatly appreciated!

Coconuts

Coco Beach

Hale Lani

Palm Hill

Treasure Ridge

Arco Iris

Rhumb Runners

Sapphire Breeze

Great Turtle Villa

Mayan Sky

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,010 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Villa Suggestions/Help

We have not stayed at any of the villas you listed, but sometimes they change names. Anyway, take a look at www.vacationvistas.com We have stayed at Argonauta 5 times. Lisa Durgin is a delight to deal with.

Also look at Villa Adagio. I think it's through www.cateredtoo.com

We stayed there one time when our other house suddenly became unavailable and we had to find something at the last minute. Beautiful house. Would stay there again.

Richmond,VA
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Villa Suggestions/Help

Hey There,

I'll just give you some quick thoughts on these villas.

Coconuts - Gifft Hill nice views, house is for sale, located on the corner of the main road so a little too accessible for my comfort.

Check out Cloud9, Plumeria or Villa Capiz for a Gifft Hill location .

Coco Beach - Located on the far side of Fish Bay so it's a little far out. Looks very charming. New. Also for sale.

Hale Lani - Maria Bluff - Great location - New to the rental market. Have heard it may be a little small but probably not a problem for 4 people. Nice views. Reasonably priced.

Palm Hill - New. Great location. Walkable to the Westin which is great for teens.

Treasure Ridge - This one's on my short list of one's to stay at next. Great location, above the Westin but a little far to walk. Nice views. The upstairs bedrooms do not have a view. Reasonably priced.

Sapphire Breeze- Great location. Near town. Gets good reviews. Faces east so no sunset views.

Arco Iris - Don't know much about it. Fish Bay location but not the far side. Also faces east I think.

Rhumb Runners, Great Turtle and Mayan Sky are all toward Coral Bay. I don't have much info on that end of things but Mayan Sky just got a good write up by budman on www.usvi-on-line.com . This is a very thorough description and photos.

virgin-islands-on-line.com/forum/…

Virgin-Islands-On-Line :: View topic - Mayan Sky description and photo's

Others on my list are:

Allesandra (near Treasure Ridge but even better views)

Bongo Bongo also not far from Treasure Ridge. New. Check out their blog of trials and tribulations of building the villa. Very entertaining. Great views. Thoughtfully done. No expense spared. Large nice pool and hot tub.

Calicaribe - on Contant Point. Near town. Great views. Nicely furnished. Great reviews.

Sago Palms has a great North Shore location and gets great reviews.

Reef Madness is a very cool villa being built it Coral Bay. Should be finshed soon. www.reefmadnessvilla.com . Also has a construction blog.

These are just my opinions but I hope this helps.

Have fun.

Kathy

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
998 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Villa Suggestions/Help

We've used Destination St John twice and have been very happy with their service. They are very forthright in helping to match you with the right villa.

Hillsborough, NC
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Villa Suggestions/Help

Here is a link to my mini-review of Arco Iris from our trip this summer -

tripadvisor.com/…8142487

Let me know if you have any additional or specific questions.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
496 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Villa Suggestions/Help

Hi, only familiar with coconuts & would not stay there again, not a bad villa except we din't care for the bedrooms in a separate pod & the kitchen was outside of the main buiding kinda wierd...also it sits right on the corner lot.... found a prowler on property returning home one evening he took off,,,,, we have booked with destination stjohn for next spring Miles away villa we did look at hale lani but since it is new to the rental scene there are no reviews on it yet? can't wait to hear them though. but eneded up with miles away which gets great reviews!! Good Luck there's so many choices out there!!!

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,751 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Villa Suggestions/Help

I had some friends staying at Coconuts last summer. It has more than sufficient distance from the main road, is really nicely done on the inside, great open air living room, and wonderful view. I would highly recommend this villa.

This may be too much house for you, but we really enjoyed Le Lapin with Caribbean Villas. Very nice pool area, superb views and breezes. If they are typical teens they will prefer being closer to Cruz Bay. Le Lapin is about 10 mins away, and yet is the last house on a dead end road.

Strongsville
Level Contributor
89 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Villa Suggestions/Help

We have stayed at the Oleander Villa which is not too far from Arco Iris.It is actually on Klein Bay. They have two bedrooms which are a/c and also a pool. The view was great, a huge pool deck which you can also get to from the downstairs bedroom and also off the kitchen. We spent many nights on that deck either looking at the stars, the beautiful view or grilling. We would stay here again!

Buffalo, New York
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
951 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Villa Suggestions/Help

We were in St John last November and rented a villa (Dream come true) through caribbean villas.

Here is the link. It come highly recommended.

caribbeanvilla.com/dream-come-true/index.html

What we liked about the villa was that the bedrooms were detached from the kitchen living room area. This gave everyone some privacy and quiet time if they were in the living room/dining area.

What I mean by detached is that you access the rooms from the balcony and not a hallway within the house.

One bedroom is downstairs.

michigan
Level Contributor
313 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Villa Suggestions/Help

I haved stayed at Vistaero, Coco Caribe and Coral Rays with destinatinstjohn and give high marks to all. We walked thru Hale Lani last time we were there and I wouldn' t recommend it. It was extremely hot at its location and while the yard was nicely landscaped, the pool was pretty small and the lower bedrooms were musty smelling with no view. I really think Coral Rays would fit nicely for your family. Very nice, large, nice pool and hot tub and very nicely furnished with nice view. As long as you don't mind Coral Bay and the drive up the hill (which you do get used to).

Illinois
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Villa Suggestions/Help

I disagree with the person that walked through Hale Lani and didn't recommend it. We stayed there in July and loved it. The views were spectacular. I did not think the pool was small at all and the bedrooms did not smell musty. All bedrooms (4) have A/C plus there are four bathrooms and it is very spacious. We had kids aged 5, 12, and 18 and we didn't even use all the beds. We tend to be picky about hotels etc and I would highly recommend Hale Lani unless you expect the Ritz Carlton in accommodations. It did get warm in the living area but then we were either in the pool or out and about most of the time. Location is fantastic. Also, the price is very reasonable.