We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mailing Provisions Ahead to STJ

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Mailing Provisions Ahead to STJ

We are a group of 10 renting a villa on STJ from 11/24-12/1. I recall some posts which recommended sending certian non-perishables and other provisions ahead by mail.

Can anyone fill me in on the particulars? Is this done through a service? Wherer is the package sent?

What types of things do you folks recommend mailing?

Thanks-

Coz

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,992 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Mailing Provisions Ahead to STJ

Make sure you send things USPS PRIORITY MAIL 2-3 day guarantee as it will take 7-10 days to arrive regardless what the PO say's :)

You can call your villa rental company - most will accept boxes but if not you can send it to Connections and they will charge you a daily fee.

Hope this helps

Pia

NH
Level Contributor
278 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mailing Provisions Ahead to STJ

I went down in July for my wedding with a group of 13 and wanted to do this. I was told by the villa management that it wasn't worth it...when factoring in the cost of shipping & the hassle itself.

We just took an extra small suitcase, and put a bunch of stuff in there. No problems. Lots of people use a carry on cooler too.

We were first timers to STJ, so we did villa provisioning thru Katilady which was well worth it. Since we weren't familiar with things and we were arriving late afternoon...I really wanted some snacks & cold drinks waiting.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,242 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mailing Provisions Ahead to STJ

I don't think it's worth the effort. It always amazes me that people choose one of the most expensive islands in the Caribbean to visit and then mail their food ahead of them? I suppose this is a new thing to do, but I've not seen this sort of thing on other sites? A group of 10 sharing expenses could probably get by ok buying provisions at one of the markets in St. Thomas.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
U.S. Virgin Islands
Monterey, California
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mailing Provisions Ahead to STJ

It is not worth the hassle or expense.

PS: If you don't EXPRESS mail it can take up to a MONTH!!!!!!!!!

virginia
Level Contributor
330 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mailing Provisions Ahead to STJ

we did the extra suitcase thing as well.

we did it for a number of reasons... Arriving late and wanted to have somethings for lnight snacks and in hte morning etc...

also we had 3 kids with us and wanted to bring some snacks for them.

It was no hassle at all.

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
6,045 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mailing Provisions Ahead to STJ

This is a long debated issue. Some people send a box ahead of time and bring a rolling cooler of meats, etc and some think it is ridiculous.

I lived on STJ for 5 years and when I vacationed there in April of this year, I did both.

We sent a box filled with my favorite coffee, granola bars, crackers, chips, nuts, etc ahead. Priority mail with delivery confirmation. it took 14 days.

We filled a rolling cooler with frozen chicken, bacon, eggbeaters, cheese and salamis.

We also went grocery shopping on island and ate out every night except for one.

Some people do and some people don't. No right or wrong.

atlanta, ga
Level Contributor
248 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mailing Provisions Ahead to STJ

If there are some "must have items", why not split it up amongst the 10 travelers. We, a family of four, did take a rolling cooler with frozen steaks, burgers, bacon, chicken breasts. Money was not really the motivation.....the quality of the meats we were able to bring were just better than we could have bought on St. John. The cooler came in handy for picnics on the beach and was a great way to get our dirty beach towels home.

Mentioned in this post
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
St. John, US Virgin...
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Mailing Provisions Ahead to STJ

As an 11 year resident of st. john who deals with many villa guests,

I would NOT recommend mailing anything ahead of time. Mail service is not great and it's not worth your time and effort.

Each couple or family can simply throw a few boxes of your favorite snacks (nuts, granola bars, dried fruit, trail mix should suffice) in with your luggage.

Then when you're here just pay attention to prices before you buy something. For example don't buy that $10 pineapple or $8 pint of blueberries. Just eat bananas and apples or whatever is reasonable. Get your meat and produce at Starfish. Go to Pine Peace market to save a lot on beverages, liquor, canned food, cereal, etc. (not good for produce or meat) .

Also do yourself a favor and pack light! Shorts, swimsuits, tee shirts, maybe a couple of nice shirts, and one pair of long pants (for the plane--you won't need them here).

9. Re: Mailing Provisions Ahead to STJ

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 23:20