We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

single mum with 9 year old, a few questions please

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fajara, Gambia
Level Contributor
2,030 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
single mum with 9 year old, a few questions please

Hello there,

I am thinking of going with my 9 year old daughter next july/august. 2008.

what is the weather like at that time of the year.? We were in Florida same time this year and it was too humid .

Is it safe for a single person to go around by themselves

where would be the best place to stay ?, we don't want to be isolated and would like to meet other kids and grownups too.

We would probably stay for 3/4 weeks is there enough to do for that length of time.

How expensive is it there to eat out, rent a car, fuel prices etc.

thinking about it probably an apartment on or near the beach would be best so we can self cater if necessary but somewhere lots of kids go. At 9 years old other kids are essential to be with!!!! mum isn't always enough.

any help and advice would be welcome

thanks so much

Rochdale, UK
Level Contributor
350 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: single mum with 9 year old, a few questions please

very humid and very quiet at that time of year.

Bungalow beach hotel would be perfect as it is right on the beach, has kitchen facilities and staff are brilliant.

I would suggest changing your dates to between late November and March/April. Better weather and a lot busier.

Fajara, Gambia
Level Contributor
2,030 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: single mum with 9 year old, a few questions please

Thanks for that i suspected it would be a quiet time.and the humidity not for me have enough of that here!!!

Will checek out bungalow beach

thanks again

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: single mum with 9 year old, a few questions please

Can you tell me which island the Bungalow Beach Hotel is located on, as it is not on St John USVI which is the forum this question was posted on - didn't want to confuse the poster :)

Pia

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
998 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: single mum with 9 year old, a few questions please

I would say that the Westin would be a good choice for their kids programs. I agree that late summer would be pretty hot and sticky. We've been there in April and January and it is lovely. I'd suggest checking out the Westins website and seeing if it is in your price range. St John is a lovely island and you will feel safe and comfortable there.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
2,327 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: single mum with 9 year old, a few questions please

If you go to the tropics in summer it will be hot. Humid? It's not the oppressive humidity of some parts of the U.S. mainland, but it can be humid. It is an island, you're near the water and the tradewinds keep things moving. But maybe the tropics aren't the best choice for you for a summer vacation. Just for an example in our general neighborhood here, Cape Cod or Martha's Vineyard may be more to your weather liking. If you're setting out from West Africa, there are a lot of directions you can go in.

STJ is a very safe place, relatively speaking.

There isn't all that much to "do". 2/3 of the island is national park, so there really aren't a lot of amusements. Some folks find it boring. Beaches, snorkeling, trails. Pretty much a do-it-yourself vacation spot. Perfect for some people, a bad choice for others.

If you're still interested, Maho Bay might be worth considering.

http://www.maho.org/

The eco-tents might be a bit rough for you (or maybe not) but Harmony Studios are a more conventional and comfortable choice. No beach accomodations and some places are a ways up the hillside. There is a sense of community at Maho and generally a good number of families with kids around. There's a restaurant for breakfast and dinner and a small store for the basics. There's usually entertainment or an educational presentation in the pavilion after dinner.

Fajara, Gambia
Level Contributor
2,030 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: single mum with 9 year old, a few questions please

thanks for the info

mm yes,I do think it might be best to change our destination

.Don't want to go from one humid country to another!!!!!

Last year we went to Chicago, Boston and Florida ,all hot and humid and although we really enjoyed it i prefer to get away from the humidity as we have that as well and i am trying to escape it..

So back to the drawing board

Thanks again

Pittsford, New York
Level Contributor
699 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: single mum with 9 year old, a few questions please

Maine might be a place to check out. It is a beautiful state on the coast. Try Bar Harbour, Boothbay Harbour, Camden, Portland. You could stay there for 2 weeks, then try Cape Cod, and Martha's Vineyard for another week or two.

Have fun planning!

8. Re: single mum with 9 year old, a few questions please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 11:20