We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation in St. John for a couple?

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
32 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodation in St. John for a couple?

We are thinking about a vacation in St. John, but can't seem to find any accommodations to meet our needs in the "Hotels" section. We are looking for an efficiency apartment or a one-bedroom apartment, looking to spend around maybe $250/night in mid-March. Our only requirements are:

1) air conditioning

2) quiet at night and mornings (wife is a light sleeper and likes to sleep in - no construction sites starting at 8am).

3) no resident cats (i am highly allergic to cats)

It would also be nice to have access to a BBQ grill.

Does anything like this exist in St. John?

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,751 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation in St. John for a couple?

That is a tough order. I think that you will find that there is construction all over the island and a lot of stray cats. They will not be in the unit but they may be around.

There are many places that might meet the size requirements but it depends on where on the island that you are looking? Will you be renting a car? Again, the construction noise may be a hard one to meet but gives us a little more info on what you like to do while on vacation and we will see what we can find!

Wheaton, Illinois
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
1,857 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation in St. John for a couple?

Book-it VI may have a couple that could fill the bill - but you'll have to ask about cats.

St. John Livin' and Island Dreams (one bedroom villas) are high above Coral Bay and, as far as I know, there are no major construction sites out east. Maybe the occasional private villa construction but no major condo developments. Pink Horses is a little larger but also might work for you.

Carnival Beach House which is kind of a duplex is closer in over Klein Bay. I don't think you will hear the construction from Chocolate Hole but, again, inquire. The other question about that area is if anyone who has purchased a lot on the Ditliff Peninsula has broken ground as yet. If answers to both of those questions is "no" then that area is absolutely beautiful and Carnival is close to the water and has a beautiful pool, although it will be shared if the other unit is occupied at the time you are there.

Hope this info helps. Here's a link:

http://www.bookitvi.com/featured.htm

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation in St. John for a couple?

Try vrbo (vacation rental by owner). I don't know about the noise level of any of the places though.

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,725 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation in St. John for a couple?

Very difficult to find in peak season with your budget - St John Livin and Dreams are both in the $375 per night range at that time.

The following link is to a wonderful apartment in Coral Bay but it does not really have a view - it is across the street from Skinny's and the bus does run past it so not sure how quiet - but on the positive no cats :)

towncountryusvi.com/st_john_rentals.html

Sail View is also fabulous - you will need a car but it is not a one bedroom or an apartment (no kitchen) but does have a BBQ and is georgeous with a/c and clean, clean, clean :)

http://www.sailviewstjohn.com/

Pia

Wheaton, Illinois
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
1,857 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation in St. John for a couple?

So right, Pia. I guess I was thinking of mid-April, after the rates drop a bit, rather than mid-March when winter rates are still in play. I have our own VI vacation on my mind -- trying to figure which island, which villa, and that's when we usually go.

Sorry, Zizza - can you wait a month? The weather will still be great.

St. John
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodation in St. John for a couple?

Here's two more that are in the right price range, but I'm not sure about the cats....you'll have to call.

Cute Cozy Cottage in Chocolate Hole

http://www.vrbo.com/150547

Romance Cottage in Coral Bay

http://www.vrbo.com/152272

Good luck in your search!

-Ruth

Wilmington, DE
Level Contributor
500 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accommodation in St. John for a couple?

We have rented Sago Cottage in Coral Bay in Feb, '08

www.vrbo.com/1248

It looks lovely and we can't wait

Suffern NY
Level Contributor
675 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Accommodation in St. John for a couple?

They are building a new house 2 doors away from Carnival Beach house. They were pouring the foundation when we stayed at Oleander in August. They are also building a moderate size house two rows behind it.

Lots of rat-a-tat-tat in lower Rendevous this winter.

Iowa
Level Contributor
39 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Accommodation in St. John for a couple?

May not fit your requirements...exactly...but you may want to try Tamarind Inn. In town...great restaurant in the courtyard...clean...friendly...and definitely within the budget.

tp://www.innattamarindcourt.com/

Boston
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Accommodation in St. John for a couple?

Zizza,

March is kind of hard because its still peak season, but I found this 1 bedroom apartment that looks really cute, but actually fits in your price range-

www.wimco.com/villas/villa.aspx…

It says it is $1800 a week, but if you do the math it's about $257 and some change per night. It says it has AC as well, but it sounds like it might be too loud for you since it seems to be on top of a restaurant. I don't know, I thought it was worth looking at for the price and the view of Cruz Bay that it has!