We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is AC really not needed ?

greensboro, north...
Level Contributor
112 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Is AC really not needed ?

I am considering renting a villa in Cinnamon Bay area and the ones I am looking at don't have AC. Lot's of talk about trade winds, etc. keeping it cool. I am going mid-May and I am wary of no AC (call me spoiled or call me somebody with hot flashes!) What is general opinion of houses with no AC at that time of year?

St. John
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
2,703 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is AC really not needed ?

Things start to warm up that time of year. Personally, I am freezing here at night at the moment. I have a down blanket I start using in November and don't give up until June. BUT, I think anything below 72 is freezing.... So, if you are doubting it, stick with a/c. My mom comes to visit me and she has a hard time with the hot flashes and having to stay cool only with ceiling fans. And I wouldn't say you are spoiled.... people get used to their climate wherever they live, and when you go to a new climate, it takes time to adjust! This is YOUR vacation, and you might as well enjoy it the best that you can!

NJ
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is AC really not needed ?

it really does depend on you. there are winds, if you are up high enough and if you are not planning on any real exertion you do get used to the temps. BUT it may be sticky.

After a couple of caribbean trips, i vote for ac. at least in the bedrooms. there is nothing worse than not being able to sleep because you are sweating and can't get comfy.

I used the ac on st. john and anguilla traveling in nov...

this coming year the house is in st. john and it has central air woohoo! a july visit...

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,795 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Is AC really not needed ?

Personally I would rather have it and not use it, than be awake all night because it's too hot.

We use the a/c in the bedrooms pretty much all year (only turn it off in Dec/Jan - but so far it's still on :) )

Pia

STT
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is AC really not needed ?

I always have a floor fan on me when I sleep as the ceiling fans don't always throw a good breeze. It helps with mosquitoes too. A little mister and a fan does a good job in a pinch to cool you off, but doesn't replace A/C. Maybe you can rent a portable A/C unit on STJ, or have the management provide one.

Wheaton, Illinois
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
1,939 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is AC really not needed ?

We were up at Cinnamon Ridge villa high above Cinnamon Bay during the month of April one year and honestly did not miss the a/c. I generally like to have it going or at least available but up there the ceiling fans were fine. The west upper bedroom that took the afternoon sun did get kind of warm but cooled down into evening. The lower level bedrooms stayed very cool. I guess that a lot of things came into play there to keep it comfortable without a/c - the mostly masonry structure, the elevation, active trade winds, bedroom locations. I think we were just dumb lucky that it worked out that way, though. Not sure that I would chance it again with a different property. Another thing to consider is the bugs - CR is almost completely screened but we stayed in the Klein Bay area in another villa where the living areas were completely open (a/c in the bedrooms). Great concept, beautiful during the day but at night (and it was in early May) we had lots of winged friends visiting and biting.

greensboro, north...
Level Contributor
112 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is AC really not needed ?

Thanks for all you thoughts on this topic. I do have availability of a portable AC unit but not sure if these things are very effective....anybody have any experience with them?

Webster, NY
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is AC really not needed ?

Yes, we had portable a/c units when we stayed at Mango Bay....the ones we had were not effective at all. In fact we were moved to another villa with real a/c. Of course it was in September, so the heat and humidity during that time of year was quite high.

I wouldn't take a chance...I want it if it's needed.

Last Feb. we stayed at Great Turtle in Coral Bay....the brezes were wonderful. I think we turned on the a/c only once...when we were packing uo to leave....mia

Webster, NY
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is AC really not needed ?

The heat and humidity WERE quite high.....

Webster, NY
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Is AC really not needed ?

I guess I should have proof read...the BREEZES were wonderful :)

greensboro, north...
Level Contributor
112 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is AC really not needed ?

Thank you ... this is exactly what I needed to know!