We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kids snorkeling... light weight wet suits?

Level Contributor
81 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Kids snorkeling... light weight wet suits?

Was wondering if light weight wet suits for kids are worth packing and bringing down? Or are the "rash guard" / swim shirts enough? Most of photos I see are w/o wet suits, but some kids get chilled faster than others... Any one with thoughts on this? Many thanks!

Monterey, California
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kids snorkeling... light weight wet suits?

This time of year I always wear a lite vest since the water is cooler. Since kids spend more time in the sun/water its a good idea to keep them covered up.

Hope, Maine
Level Contributor
38 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kids snorkeling... light weight wet suits?

I think your biggest concerns will be sun burn, not getting chilled. We packed a wet suit for my son, who was born with a congenital heart deformity and chills very easily. He never used it and was never, ever cold. A rash guard would be fine to protect your kids from the sun.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kids snorkeling... light weight wet suits?

Clearly, different people have different temperature reactions, but I have spent extended periods in the water on the North Shore in January and February and have never felt at all cold. Generally, kids tend to tolerate cold water (and again, this is not cold water) better than adults. I guess Larryjohn doesn't agree, but I wouldn't bother with wet suits.

Pittsford, New York
Level Contributor
1,463 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kids snorkeling... light weight wet suits?

Have never felt much cold, but if you are snorkeling, you tend to forget your back is above the water, and likely to get burned. I always wear a rashguard when snorkeling on STJ. Dont forget to use sunburn cream on the backs of your legs also, especially behind the knees. Otherwise you can have a painful time getting around

Level Contributor
81 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kids snorkeling... light weight wet suits?

Thanks all for the info! we'll pass on the 'suits and bring the rash guards. Can't wait to get to the warmer weather!

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Kids snorkeling... light weight wet suits?

we liked the wet suits shirts cause they help you float if you are snorkeling in deeper waters

i wore a shirt over a lycra dive skin and was happy i brought mine -

so it would depend how much time are your kids snorkeling and do you take them deep -

i fell in love with my combo dives suit and and wetsuit top for winter snorkeling

i tend to spend an hour or so at a time snorkeling sometimes more

7. Re: Kids snorkeling... light weight wet suits?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 03:18