We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for a short honeymoon on St. John?

Connecticut
1 post
Save Topic
Advice for a short honeymoon on St. John?

Hi all,

Thnks for all of the reviews and forum discussions. I've been lurking around these pages in the last few weeks and have found all of the advice and feedback VERY helpful.

My fiance and I had a 100 guest wedding planned for Connecticut in September and decided (2 weeks ago!) to cancel that plan and head to St. John instead. We'll be taking our immediate family members with us in January of next year. Half the family will be staying in Sago Palms, the other half (including us) in Villa Rendezvous.

Here's my question... where should we stay after our villa rental has ended and our family has departed? We'd like to stay in the USVI for a few more days (maybe three nights). We don't really have the budget to spend $600/night for the Westin or Caneel Bay. And we'd rather not do another 7 night minimum rental at a villa. Should we head back to St. Thomas and stay at Sapphie Beach or someplace comparable? Or would staying on St. John at Gallows Point be nicer? Any advice for a romantic, relaxing and not-too-expensive (no more than $400 night) short stay would be much appreciated!

Thanks again!

nowhere
Level Contributor
872 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for a short honeymoon on St. John?

Well you rented two of the best buys on the island! Following those houses will not be easy, but there are some nice 1 bedroom cottages/houses in your price range that are best reviewed on caribbeandays.com/stjohn/ There are several good choices there.

Also Estate Lindholm, Harbor view 1 bedroom plus loft, is solidly in your price range. This property is adults only on the opposit side of Cruz bay from Gallows Point on the road to the Northshore beaches.

Congrats and good luck!

Parker, Colorado
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
1,040 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for a short honeymoon on St. John?

I would NOT go to St. Thomas after spending time on St. John. You'll understand why after you drive through it the first time to get to St. John. I think you'd be disappointed there IMHO. It is much more touristy, spread out and has several not so safe feeling areas which are hard to avoid. We've twice stayed at Sapphire Beach. The first time we stayed for a week. Happily that's the trip when we discovered St. John. We stayed there one other time just because our flight back home was so early we needed to get to St. Thomas the day before it left. It's ok, nice views and a marina for any excursions you might want to take, but still nothing like being on St. John.

I think Gallows Point would be an excellent choice. We've stayed there and LOVED it. They discourage younger children, so you won't have crying babies around to take away from romance. It's proximity to Cruz Bay is also great if you don't want to pay for a rental car. You can trust whatever earlybrass says as well....still trying to figure out how you know so much about EVERY villa, earlybrass. ;-) Know anything about Over the Rainbow villa?

But I digress! Congrats! and good luck!!!

nowhere
Level Contributor
872 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for a short honeymoon on St. John?

tetheredincolorado - Over the Rainbow has been in the Caribbean Villas portfolio for many years and not once have the photos changed. My guess - its due (overdue?) for a rennovation and all new furniture. When 'eco-tourist' shows up, and no photos of the kitchen, I don't rent it, despite the views and location, which is pretty good. Checkout Cocolobo instead. A little higher and much nicer. Caribbean Villas recommended it (they know what I like) to me with the warning that the rode in and drive are a bit 'challenging'. I didn't choose it because the pool was too small for me, but for no other reason. Nice small place.

new york
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for a short honeymoon on St. John?

We honeymooned on Gallows and loved it. I would not suggest going to St.Thomas after St.John....just my opinion. I have always found that just the taxi ride to the ferry on STT is enough for us! We were 23 when we honeymooned at Gallow's and we had a great time. It's private, you have a nice kitchen if you want to stay in, and it's clean. I think you'll enjoy more than renting a villa just for the two of you. It's great to have ZoZo's Restaurant and Cruz Bay in walking distance!

Have fun!

NY
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice for a short honeymoon on St. John?

Hi Ktkate,

I'm also planning a wedding on St. John for February 2006. Do you have the links for the villas that you mentioned? I've been searching since I will have about 15 family members with me and I don't want the cost to be out of control!

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,725 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice for a short honeymoon on St. John?

Hi there,

Earlybrass said that Estate Lindholm is an adults only B&B unfortunately it is not :-( they have 2 "loft" units available for families. We stayed there in 2002 - beautiful property - and there was another family (actually relatives of the owners) staying there but we never really saw them only after returning from the beach around the pool. Gallows is wonderful, personally I would stay there over EL - getting home is so much easier and overall the rooms, pool, facilites etc are much nicer than EL, but you wont go wrong with either.

nowhere
Level Contributor
872 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice for a short honeymoon on St. John?

sago Plams can be found at www.privatehomesvi.com It is located on the westend of the Northshore It is completely rented out through May 2006 last I looked. Outstanding buy.

Villa Rendevouz is available through www.caribbeanvilla.com It has just been rennovated (2005) and is on the water, but no direct beach access. Try it's nearest neighbor as well, Montey Bay. More expensive and also rennovated in the last 2 years.