We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road running on STJ- is this safe??

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
65 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Road running on STJ- is this safe??

Yes, I am that insane person who runs on vacation.

I am having a hard time finding info on this. I will be staying near Cruz Bay in a couple of weeks and am looking for a route to run at least 7-8 miles. I would like to know if road running is a safe practice on STJ and whether anyone has any recommendations of particularly good routes to run.

Looking forward to those hills (and, of course, the sunshine and cocktails ;)

Thanks.

kod
Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
1,549 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road running on STJ- is this safe??

I have driven some the roads in St John and in my opinion you would be risking your life to run on the roads. They are narrow with lots of sharp bends. Perhaps someone from St John knows a decent road that would be OK for running. What about trail running, such as Lind Point trail to Caneel Bay and then running on some of their more private roads or on their grounds?

Monterey, California
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road running on STJ- is this safe??

NO.....If you must try the loop from Annaberg ruins to big Maho beach early morning (before 9am).

Colorado
Level Contributor
166 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Road running on STJ- is this safe??

Hey there-

As a runner, we must redefine the meaning of "insane," right?

That said, there is a decent running community on STJ and I think getting out early, early is key. When I'm on island I am on the road by 6:30. This is usually on the Coral Bay side, however, so I don't run into a lot of traffic at all. BUT, on those early a.m. trips into Cruz Bay, I've seen a good amount of people running on the road. I would look at it like running anywhere else- be smart. No iPod, stay on the correct side of the road (against traffic) and pick low-traffic areas. Though it's a drive from where you'll be, the Annaberg route is actually a very good suggestion.

St. John
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
2,684 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road running on STJ- is this safe??

You can run here. We have the 8tuffmiles race every year here and there are a lot of runners on island. You are best off going out very early, at first light (which is between 5:30 and 7 depending on what time of year it is). My friend goes to Maho and runs out there if he can't get out early enough to avoid heavy traffic. My one very strong suggestion is to leave the iPod at home. It will be crucial that you can hear cars/trucks/horns since you will not be familiar with the roads. The roads are narrow and you will have to be aware of traffic sounds so you can either get off the road or stay very close to the edge of the road when you hear a car coming.

Check out the www.8tuffmiles.com website... maybe next year you can come for that!

chicago
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Road running on STJ- is this safe??

I was hoping to take my infants on long walks in their strollers or in Baby Bjorns every day. Should I be concerned about safety? We'll be staying at Palm Terrace Villas and I would probably walk to and from town or find another interesting route once there.

Thanks!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
2,345 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road running on STJ- is this safe??

Many of the roads on STJ don't have shoulders to step off onto. There are also plenty of blind curves. Drivers aren't expecting to see runners or pedestrians and some simply aren't very pedestrian-friendly. The gorgeous views can also be distracting for drivers. So, visitors on foot need to be very cautious and aware.

Very early morning (before traffic) certainly would be the best time. For relatively flat stretches, as mentioned, the Francis to Annaberg route would be good. There's also quite a stretch going through Coral Bay.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
208 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road running on STJ- is this safe??

My husband is also a runner and gets out there almost every day during our trips to STJ. He goes early and has never had a problem. Just keep an eye out and an ear out. We always stay near Cruz Bay and he will run from whatever house we are staying at.

Also, keep a look out for the local dogs - some like to chase runners.....!

Tracy

St. John
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
2,684 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road running on STJ- is this safe??

Good call on the dogs! There are way more under control than they were 7 years ago, but they are still around. My dad got bit while running about two years ago. The owner took him to the clinic and ended up putting the dog down, but I wouldn't expect that from a lot of people here.

Strollers.... there just isn't a good place to use them here. We don't have much in the way of side walks or ramps. I would be very very cautious using a stroller on a road here. I used a backpack carrier for my son until he was 3 and a half. That is the only way I felt safe walking on the roads with him.

Lincoln, MA
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Road running on STJ- is this safe??

My husband and I are runners and we think one of the best running areas in St. John is the Fish Bay area from Ditleff Point to Reef Bay. It's mostly flat--as you know, that's very unusual for St. John, and there is rarely any traffic. Parts of the road are recently paved so the road is smooth--no potholes. It's about a 6-8 minute drive from Cruz Bay. We're always surprised we don't see more runners there. We think it's a great area for runnings.

10. Re: Road running on STJ- is this safe??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 20:17