We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. John in July

8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
St. John in July

We are going to St. John the first week of July. Is the landscape lush and green this time of year?

Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: St. John in July

All depends on how much rain they've gotten. We were there in July 2007 and it had been a very dry year and things were not as lush as we were used to seeing (not that it wasn't still gorgeous!). We were also there in June 2006 and I think it was much more green. (Or maybe I've got my years backward, but the point is the same.)

The upside to a dry year is that the bugs are not as bad, so you're in good shape either way.

Level Contributor
377 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St. John in July

This July will be our fourth July trip...always has been green and lush.

Port Washington...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St. John in July

My family and I will be there for the first week of July too (7/1 - 7/8) for my 30th birthday! It will be my first time in July and second time to STJ (first was back in April 2004). I've been dreaming of a trip back ever since! Here's to birthday drinks in July!

Virgin Islands
Level Contributor
403 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St. John in July

June is usually a pretty dry month, and typically July will be somewhat wetter, especially late in the month as the tropical waves start regularly crossing the Atlantic. If we don't have much rain then, the island will brown very quickly due to the intense summer sun.

Last year the month was unusually dry, and the island was VERY brown on the 31st of July...that night we go three inches of rain, followed by 30 more inches before the end of October...now we're going into the usual winter dry season, in spite of frequent very hard, very short showers this week....

I'd say that about 50% of years the island is quite green in July, 25% somewhat green, and 25% somewhat to very brown.

As was mentioned, the lack of bugs can be a big bonus on your vacation!

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,791 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St. John in July

The other upside to lack of rain is much better snorkeling. The water is more clearer with no rain runoff.

Leesburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
98 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St. John in July

We were there in late June early July of 2007 and it was lush and beautiful! Rain showers in the early morning (or overnight) on the tin roof, then wake to a rainbow with coffee at the pool.

Can't wait to do it again this year late June/early July!

Camp Hill
Level Contributor
154 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: St. John in July

We always go in July or August. It's always green and lovely. I think the south side is more arid. I may be wrong, but I did notice more cacti when we were over near John's Folly.

Level Contributor
488 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St. John in July

Last July, 4th-10th, was green and beautiful!!

Near Future
Level Contributor
496 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St. John in July

We always go in July, but I've noticed the island is not as green as it used to be in the summer due to the lack of rain in 2007/2008. Last year, we stayed on the northshore, which is usually lush, and noticed a lot of dried out vegetation. So much so that even the residents commented that they really needed rain badly. The birds were eating people's home grown fruit more then usual due to the lack of lush vegetation. Maybe they've gotten more rain since this past July and have recovered. But, overall, St. John is certainly more green and lush then just about any island in the Caribbean that doesn't get a TON of rain (like St. Lucia or Grenada). St. John has a good balance. My observation is simply comparing how I've seen it before. It was still beautiful. Plus the lack of hotels helps a lot. Nothing worse to me then seeing beautiful beaches in other places with strips of high rise hotels. Just not my thing.

10. Re: St. John in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 12:25
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question