We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cell phone rentals

kod
Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
1,554 posts
267 reviews
Save Topic
Cell phone rentals

Has anyone rented a cell phone in St John? Any info appreciated.

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,962 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Cell phone rentals

Never heard of such a thing - people just use their own from the States (if they have service) or a phone card.

Pia

Holland, MI
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cell phone rentals

Since AT&T has the overall best coverage on STJ we bought a pay-as-you-go Go Phone and that worked out great for us (since Verizon is our regular carrier and you get killed with roaming down there).

new england
Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cell phone rentals

I have Virgin mobile service which runs on Sprint PCS--does that work on the island?

kod
Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
1,554 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cell phone rentals

Diana,

Where did you get it? What was the charge per minute for use in St John? Thanks.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,154 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cell phone rentals

We just called Verizon last night for something else and found out this.

We paid .69 cents a minute last year and that added up fast, even for calling local numbers, it's roaming. You can buy a 1 month plan for $3.99 and then pay .29 cents a minute. You can also cancel it after one month. Not a bad deal and that's what I'm doing this time.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
118 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cell phone rentals

My sister has Verizon and I have T-Mobile and we were told by both that there are no roaming charges. Using it just comes off of your monthly minutes. Any comments??

Maine
Level Contributor
353 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Cell phone rentals

MiniRod - I wouldn't trust that information, at least with Verizon. It clearly states on their website in the international section that calling from the VI's is .69 per minute.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cell phone rentals

We also bought an AT&T pay-as-you-go phone. The phone was 19.99 at Best Buy (although I think they may have one for 9.99 as well). I'm guessing any discount store that carries electronics will have them. Air time is .25/minute. We just had it along for emergencies and for contacting our villa upon arrival, etc. I think we ended up using a total of 10 minutes. We had coverage in a lot of places, but not in our villa in Fish Bay Estates.

Holland, MI
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cell phone rentals

Yup, we bought our Go Phone at Best Buy and chose the 25 cents/minute option to. We too only used it for necessary calls and used a prepaid calling card for making calls home from the villa.

Verizon will charge you .69/min plus roaming charges. Don't believe them with they say there's no roaming.

Camano Island...
Level Contributor
123 posts
644 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cell phone rentals

I normally toss my cell phone on my vacations....

ha ha, just kidding Kod. We have Sprint, and they can add a roaming deal and it's only a few bucks extra on your bill next month.

but seriously, I usually call the folks to let them know I made it alive, and then a call or two to check in and make sure that everyone's safe. personally, I'd get a phone card and call it good.

rusty