We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4th of July arrival

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
496 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
4th of July arrival

We arrive via ferry from St. Thomas mid-afternoon on the 4th of July. I've been reading about the carnival and a parade so I don't know what to expect. Will it be very crowded in Cruz Bay? Can anyone suggest a good place for dinner that we can see the fireworks or is there public viewing areas? Any other suggestions for good restaurants ( we have 2 teenage boys who love to eat! )for the rest of the week? Thanks!!

Mentioned in this post
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
U.S. Virgin Islands
Cruz Bay
Cruz Bay
St. John
St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
57 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4th of July arrival

Yes, Cruz Bay will be very very busy during the afternoon of the 4th of July. It is probably the busiest day on STJ all year by far. Are you staying in a villa or hotel? Are you renting a car?

The parade runs all day, so getting from point A to Point B is going to be difficult at best. The Taxis can't come into town and if you are taking a taxi you have to go up to where the Texaco used to be to catch one.

If you are renting a villa, I would definitely talk to your villa company about transportation ahead of time.

The fireworks are usually later - I think last year they were about 9pm. Not sure if you want to eat dinner that late.

There are many good restaurants on STJ - it more depends on what you are looking for (upscale, casual, ultra casual, family friendly, etc.)

Mentioned in this post
Cruz Bay
Cruz Bay
St. John
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
496 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4th of July arrival

We are staying in a villa in Fish Bay. That was the first day it was available and I didn't know about the parade etc. We are planning on renting a car. About the restaurant suggestions, I'll say what my husband says when I ask him what he wants for dinner, "something good". LOL We like good food and I am looking for a mix of local/casual and upscale places. We are island hopping from Anguilla which has amazing restaurants.

Mentioned in this post
Anguilla
Anguilla
Caribbean
Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,997 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 4th of July arrival

For a view of the fireworks (9pm (ish) ) I would suggest Asolare or ZoZo's - book ahead of time and ask for a railing seat.

Pia

Mentioned in this post
Asolare
Asolare
824 Reviews
St. John
ZoZo's at the Sugar Mill
ZoZo's at the Sugar Mill
1,814 Reviews
St. John
Florida
Level Contributor
245 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 4th of July arrival

I tried to coordinate a July 4th arrival with the villa agency I used and they do not accept July 4th arrivals due to to all the logistic problems. You may have a difficult time getting situated with your rental car since they cannot pick you up at the dock that day.

St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
57 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4th of July arrival

I would definitely contact the villa rental company and talk to them about logistics. It is going to be difficult to get your car that day unless perhaps the villa company can get it for you ahead of time or something. Definitely call them and get a plan in place ahead of time. I'm surprised they were OK with you coming in that day - it is going to be more than a little crazy for a travel day!

There are plenty of restaurant recommendations on this site, just do a search. Some of my favorites are

ZoZos (upscale italian)

Asolare (upscale asian/caribbean)

Cafe Roma (casual italian)

Rhumb Lines (casual pan-asian)

Sun Dog Cafe (casual lunch spot)

Beach Bar (casual bar/food)

Sweet Plantains (Coral Bay)

Shipwreck (Coral Bay)

There are a lot of good places, and if you spend time on this site, there are numerous detailed reviews.

Mentioned in this post
ZoZo's at the Sugar Mill
ZoZo's at the Sugar Mill
1,814 Reviews
St. John
Asolare
Asolare
824 Reviews
St. John
Rhumb Lines
Rhumb Lines
1,259 Reviews
St. John
Sun Dog Cafe
Sun Dog Cafe
880 Reviews
St. John
Coral Bay
Coral Bay
180 Reviews
St. John
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
496 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4th of July arrival

Now I am a lttle worried! I emailed the agency so hopefully they will help me out. Funny that they didn't mention this when I booked back in December ( and my dates were totally flexible! ). Anyway, are there any public viewing areas if for some reason we don't make dinner reservations?

Thanks!!

St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
57 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4th of July arrival

Yes, that is odd that they didn't mention it since it's only the biggest thing to happen to STJ all year. Are they a local agency? If it is not on island, perhaps they didn't know...

If I remember right, he fireworks are out over the water, so any place on the beaches in Cruz Bay would be fine to see the fireworks. Pia lives on-island year round, so she can correct me if I'm wrong.

Mentioned in this post
Cruz Bay
Cruz Bay
St. John
NY, NY
Level Contributor
224 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: 4th of July arrival

We will be on the island for the 4th as well.

We were planning on taking a cab from Caneel to the parade and back, and then again that evening to dinner in Cruz Bay and back.

It was mentioned that cabs will have to be picked up at the old gas station - how far of a walk is that from the parade and restaurants?

Is it possible that we may not be able to catch a cab at all?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Cruz Bay
Cruz Bay
St. John
new york
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4th of July arrival

Boraborababe-You will not be able to get through the small town heading from caneel and back unless they drop you by asolare or maybe mongoose junction.Call caneel and ask the concierge about logistics.I think they may have a caneel boat bringing hotel guests closer to the fireworks etc. good luck.

NY, NY
Level Contributor
224 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: 4th of July arrival

Will do.

Thanks!