We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight to St. Thomas for October/November?

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Topic
Flight to St. Thomas for October/November?

As I posted in another thread, my fiance and I are planning on honeymooning at St. John (primarily) in late October/early November.

We have been looking at villas, and are trying to narrow down that list. We are also starting to look at airfares, and it looks like there are direct flights out of Charlotte and Atlanta. Right now, those direct flights are twice as expensive as leaving from our hometown, Charleston, SC, and connecting in Charlotte or Atlanta. There is not much of a layover for the connecting flights. So we would probably go that route vs. the higher priced direct flights.

What would be the best price we could expect for airfare for the time of year we will be traveling, and when should we book? Thanks in advance.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight to St. Thomas for October/November?

Now is probably the best time to purchase tickets. I've also been looking at airfare for Oct. It appears airfare has gone up a little bit since April - at least for flying from Minneapolis. I use Kayak.com and view the best price trend, you can also view which days are the cheapest to depart/return.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for St. John, Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight to St. Thomas for October/November?

We've already bought for November and the prices have only gone up. I would go ahead and lock in.

Cheers, RickG

Syosset, New York
Level Contributor
2,472 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight to St. Thomas for October/November?

I would purchase the tickets now b/c the prices are probably going to get even higher because gas prices are soaring. I hope that this helps!

Helen

atlanta, ga
Level Contributor
243 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight to St. Thomas for October/November?

I agree! Purchase the tickets now and then keep monitoring the airfares. If the fares for your exact flights come down in price, the airline will issue you a credit/voucher. Then you can apply that to your next trip to St. John. Trust me you will want to return to St. John again and again.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Flight to St. Thomas for October/November?

How does $402 for a direct flight (round-trip) from Charlotte, NC to St. Thomas sound? Any chance I'll get much better than that?

atlanta, ga
Level Contributor
243 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flight to St. Thomas for October/November?

I think that is reasonable. One year ago we payed close to that out of Atlanta with a connection in Miami.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Flight to St. Thomas for October/November?

The flight is actually connecting through Atlanta, but only has about an hour layover. I'm tempted to see if we can find a better price, as that is not exactly a steal. However, as others have said, prices may be rising with gas. So I'm thinking I should maybe bite the bullet, and lock it in.

jfitzp1741 (or anyone else),

Do all airlines do vouchers, if the price of the flight ever goes down? I've never heard of that before. Do you just call the airline when you see a lower price, and that's that...or is there more to it?

atlanta, ga
Level Contributor
243 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flight to St. Thomas for October/November?

My experience has been with Delta. Just call them and let them know that you have found a better fare for the EXACT FLIGHTS and they will issue you a voucher for travel anywhere within the next year. I have done this on at least three separate occasions.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Flight to St. Thomas for October/November?

jfitzp,

We booked our flights through Delta last night, and added trip insurance. Do you usually do the same? From what I read on these forums, everyone recommended adding the insurance.

Mt.Laurel,NJ
Level Contributor
820 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Flight to St. Thomas for October/November?

That price sounds like a steal to me. Get it locked and loaded. You'll be happy you did, and relieved that it's done with. Our party is headed down @ the same time, and this past April we were crushed with the airfare out of Philly through USAIR.It was almost the same price that we spent per person/ couple for the villa, but it's all a part of the program. Commit!, and maybe we'll see you on the beach-

Smiles-

MJ