We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sunset

Rockwall, Texas
Level Contributor
892 posts
228 reviews
Save Topic
sunset

Where do I need to be to see a full sunset - green flash included! I loved watching the sun go down in Hawaii! Which beaches, restaurants, bars, etc? It goes down around 6:30 in summer, correct?

Bethlehem, PA
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sunset

Zozo's at Gallows Point in Cruz Bay is a great place to have a drink and/or dinner and see a beautiful sunset. Especially if you can get a seat at the bar upstairs!

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,010 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sunset

Back To The Islands,

ZoZo's or on the beach (rocky) at Gallows Point is a great spot to watch the sunset. Depending where your room is at the Westin you may get a partial sunset. Some rooms are high on the hill.

We always rent a villa with a sunset view, which are spectacular, but have never seen the GREEN FLASH on St John. Have seen it on Grand Cayman and it was AMAZING !!! :)

Carol

St. John
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
2,682 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sunset

Pastory Gardens/Compass Rose is actually a nice sunset spot as well. It's a little higher up and you get the "big" view of it from up there. It's also not as expensive of a place as Zozo's. If you go to the beach for the sunset, don't forget your bug spray. The no-see-ums love sunsets! And yes, around 6:30 would be a good time to catch the sun setting in the summer time.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for St. John, Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sunset

I agree with stjohnjulie on Pastory Gardens. We also love those western facing villas. We end up at the Beach Bar at least once per trip with our toes in the water as we watch the sun go down. Francis Bay is great too.

…webshots.com/photo/…

Cheers, RickG

Georgia
Level Contributor
658 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sunset

We're staying at Caneel Trailside Cottage (on the saddle between Caneel and Margaret Hill).... were kind of planning to hike to the top of one of them for sunsets...do you St. John-ers think that your suggestions would be better though??? We won't bother, if we can be at a bar and experience just as nice of a sunset ;-)

Rockwall, Texas
Level Contributor
892 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sunset

BEACH BAR sounds great! A drink in my hand, my honey beside me and sitting in paradise! WoW!! I think I just need to move there! Do they need teachers?? I just don't know what hubby woud do. What is the dress for the dressier restaurants with a view. My husband just wanted to take shorts. Can he get away with that and a nice shirt? I'll take capris or a skirt. Thanks, thanks, thanks!

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
6,929 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sunset

your odds of seeing the elusive "Green Flash" increase dramatically the more rum punches you consume while watching the sunset.

Seriously, conditions (clear skies on the horizon, humidity just right, etc.) have to just right or it simply doesn't happen. When it does occur it happens very quickly and is easily missed. If you are "staring" at the sun for too long prior to the actual sunset your retina won't see it.

Go here to learn everything you could ever want to know about the Green Flash:

http://mintaka.sdsu.edu/GF/

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for St. John, Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sunset

GeorgiaShutterbug, ya gotta head up to the top of the hill to see at least one sunset. That would be an awesome vantage point.

backtotheislands, shorts! I wear Tevas, shorts and a tropical lightweight shirt to all of the white table cloth restaurants we go to - La Tapa (favorite), Waterfront Bistro, Zozo's, Asolare, Paradiso, etc. There is one restaurant at Caneel that requests a more formal get-up, so we just stay away. My lady usually wears a sun dress and my daughters dress like their Dad, in a gender/age appropriate way.

Cheers, RickG

Georgia
Level Contributor
658 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sunset

Thanks, Rick. It seemed like it would be a "can't miss" to view the sunset from one of the highest points on the island... but for all I knew, there isn't even an overlook up there that faces west. I appreciate the confirmation! We'll definitely make the hike at least once (and spend at least one sunset at a restaurant or bar)... thanks also for the clothing advice. We were just debating the same thing. My husband considers himself dressed up if he's wearing a clean t-shirt ;-) Actually, I'm not far behind him.....

TVJ
Lynn Haven
Level Contributor
51 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: sunset

Go to the Caneel Resort to the bar, sit on the upper deck and enjoy! Really beautiful, comfortable, and a memory.