We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

over the rainbow villa / Calypso by the Sea villa

evanston, illinois
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
over the rainbow villa / Calypso by the Sea villa

has anyone ever stayed at the over the rainbow villa in reef bay or the Calypso by the Sea villa?

Parker, Colorado
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: over the rainbow villa / Calypso by the Sea villa

Funny you should ask. It is for sale, and my husband and I looked into it. I think it is relatively rustic, and older in comparison to most of the villas in STJ which has been going through a building boom for the past 5-10 years.

That's not a bother to me, though, but it may not be what you have in mind. All the photos you see are rather dated. I believe the kitchen could use some updating, but still has everything you might need. It has wonderful views, and is very private. The pool is gorgeous. For the price, it's a pretty good deal on a very expensive island.

We took some time and spoke with the owners. They have loved the place and made improvements for about 10 years, I think. The husband actually puts out the online periodical named "News of St. John" and you can check that out pretty easily. They also own Blue Tang villa and are selling Over the Rainbow because they've recently fallen in love with Maine and would like to have a place there as well because they like to travel with their dogs, and it's often too hard to get the dogs to STJ given airline temperature restrictions.

So, while I haven't been there in person, (We're going next week) I can tell you that is is older and has been loved by the owners. I think I found a thread about it on www.vinow.com. from a person who had stayed there. that review was very positive. It all depends on what you're looking for, of course.

Hope this helps.