We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westin with kids

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
80 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Westin with kids

I am interested in St Johns. Have children age 8 and 4 and looking for family vacation over Easter, April 09. Caneel Bay may be a little too laid back for us. Can someone pls tell me about the Westin. Is there alot for kids to do. How is the kids club? Is there still a large inflatable at the beach?

I have read about a mosquito problem...is it only certain times of the year???

Is it worth it to rent a car or is using a taxi just as reliable for dinners out.

Thanks for the info.

Chicago
Level Contributor
364 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Westin with kids

The Westin and St.John will be perfect, They will love the Pool and two nights a week they show movies at the pool for the kids. I even got into it...

Rent a Jeep for a few days (spencers) Cabs or should I say Pick up trucks are costly....

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for St. John, Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Westin with kids

lmrussel, it's St. John, not St. John's. Careful, St. John's is in Antigua.

Westin is fine for kids, if rather constrained. There is only the man-made beach and it probably ranks about 30th as beaches go. My kids love having a villa with a pool, which can be less expensive than the Westin. They've been going since they are infants and can always find someone to play with on one of the beaches.

You'll need a rental 4WD in order to see St. John. 2/3 of the island is National Park and taxis don't cut it except for getting back and forth to Cruz Bay. Don't believe the worries about parking in Cruz Bay, its only a real issue for people who want handicapped parking next to the restaurants door.

Mosquitos come out after the rain, about 7 days. November is the rainiest month. It's also the month when we usually go.

Cheers, RickG

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
66 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Westin with kids

We've been going to the Westin for years; we own a couple of weeks in the pool villas. Our 7 year old daughter loves the kids club and I feel confident enough that we leave her at the club when we go off for the day to Waterlemon. They have a lot of activities for the kids, a game room, and often show them movies during the hottest part of the day. Unfortunately, it doesn't open early enough for us to grab the charter boats, but it's great otherwise.

The Westin does have a playground which our daughter likes, but be aware it's not very shady and the equipment can get hot. There are usually two to three inflatables out in the water, but I don't know if I would feel comfortable taking our daughter out there. She's a strong swimmer, but there are often alot of teens and young adults who are not always paying attention to others around them when they jump off or climb on.

Mosquitos are an off and on problem; it really depends on the weather. I, however, can be bitten by the only mosquito on the island, so I always take repellant.

You really need to rent a car, and be prepared to rent it for a week as you're going at a very busy time and are unlikely to find rentals for just a day or two. It's really an important part of the St John experience to visit the beaches or hike in the National Park. Not having a jeep limits you to relying on taxis, which can get very expensive for a family of four. I believe there are several published sources of cab fares on island; take a look and you'll see that one trip via taxi to Trunk Bay can equal a day's rental cost.

Feel free to email me with specific Westin questions.

Lori

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,725 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Westin with kids

Do rent a car for your trip as there is soooo much to see and do on St John - the beach at the Westin is a man made beach and OK for the kids at the end of the day (imo) but I would not spend your whole vacation there.

Plan on renting a car and hitting one or two of our fabulous beaches each day - they are the reason why people visit STJ :)

Taxi's for 4 will add up very quickly as they charge per person not per trip, and for example.....

Westin to Cruz Bay (for dinner) 4 people roundtrip $40.00 ($5.00 pp each way)

Westin to Trunk Bay 4 people roundtrip $80.00 ($10.00 pp each way)

Westin to Maho Bay 4 people roundtrip $112.00 ($14.00 pp each way)

Do book your car in advance and do it by Christmas at the latest as there are a limited number of cars on St John and when they are gone, they are gone and you are here during a hoilday and "peak" season

Hope this helps

Pia

5. Re: Westin with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 21:18