We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendation for Villa Agency

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Recommendation for Villa Agency

We're planning a wedding in St. John in June/July 2009, and trying to book our guests in villas. We're expecting about 20-30 guests, and I'd like to get some villas that are close together, most likely relatively close to Cruz Bay. I'm looking for an agency that can help us book a few villas close together, and will work with us to deal with multiple guests coming in, and be a little flexible on cancellations since we won't know our exact guest list for another month or two. Is this just wishful thinking or should we just head over to a resort? If anyone has recommendations for an agency that can help us, please let me know. I'm sure this will be the first of many posts about our wedding!

Thanks!

St. John
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
2,682 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendation for Villa Agency

I would give Destination St. John a call. They are usually pretty helpful and will give you some ideas. Their website is www.destinationstjohn.com

Congrats!!!

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,752 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendation for Villa Agency

I have used Caribbean Villa and Resorts for years. Except for there 5% servie charge, I have been very pleased with their service and catalog of properties, which may be the most extensive on the island.

Their website is: www.caribbeanvilla.com

New Jersey
Level Contributor
454 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendation for Villa Agency

I've always had good luck with Island Hideaways (www.islandhideaways.com), although I've never used them for St. John. Just a suggestion...

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for St. John, Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendation for Villa Agency

As Julie mentioned, DSJ is a good firm. They seem to be the most polished. I've had good luck with VIVA! in the past also.

I did a Thanksgiving trip with 24 family members in 2006. My approach was to get groups to rent their own villas. This worked well for us.

Good luck.

Cheers, RickG

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,486 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendation for Villa Agency

We have used Catered To, Viva and Vacation Vistas. I have the best things to say about Catered To because they really stand out in my memory as an excellent service provider.

RickG is the authority on group villa travel. Ask nice and he might hook you up with his guide to travelling with multiple groups/families and multiple houses :)

Maybe you could put an info pack together to aid them in making their own arrangements for housing and rental vehicles?

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommendation for Villa Agency

Thanks for the recs. I was thinking about this last night, and I guess I don't even know how I should approach this. I know I want 1 large villa for our families and to actually have the wedding reception. And I want to have a vew villas nearby for the rest of the guests, or at least be close to a resort. I just don't know how to go about holding the dates at the villas without knowing for sure what guests are coming.

RickG - sounds like you're an expert on this. How did you go about booking the villas for these folks? Did you just have them book on their own?

Cleo - I thought about giving people a packet for them to book on their own, but I'm just worried that everyone will end up all over the island then, and I'd prefer to just have everyone close by. If we give everyone a deadline of, say, December to book their travel, do you think a lot of the villas will be taken by then?

Ahhh...this would be so much easier if I knew exactly who was coming and when! :)

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for St. John, Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommendation for Villa Agency

pwongster, check out what I wrote for my families' trip - garvin.us/STJ/…STJ_New_Visitor_Guide.html

We gave folks contact information for villa rental agencies and gave them a few recommendations. We were all on the West side across Hart Bay, Chocolate Hole and Great Cruz Bay - within 5 minutes of each other. We had different budgets and different needs, so it was a lot easier to have folks book their own. Seriously, being travel agent for a group that big is a lot of work. You may want to actually use a wedding planner/travel agent for that portion of the work.

You'll need to find a villa that allows you to have the reception there. Mat at stjohncatering.com can tell you which villas work for a reception. Villa St. John on Chocolate Hole has been mentioned, but the Pond Bay Construction is a concern there.

Good luck!

Cheers, RickG

SE USA
Level Contributor
753 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommendation for Villa Agency

With the help of alot of other people, I have developed a villa Map of many Villas on STJ, feel free to use it as a reference and email to others....

bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showflat.php…

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,486 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recommendation for Villa Agency

Our summer trips were to Caneel so I can't offer information on how booked villas will be at that time of year.

You might want to check into the summer offerings for any guests that might not want a full week villa rental. Double upgrades, free breakfast and deals on families travelling together are offered in the summer.

We liked this option for our summer trips as we travelled for shorter periods, 4 or 5 nights.

Have you give any thought to budget for guest lodging? There are some nice, new houses on the upper side of Peter Bay that could house several couples. That particular North Shore location is great - close to all the north shore beaches, easy drive to town, great views. (the beach access to Peter Bay is not good but that is another topic)

While I have never stayed up on the ridge in the Carolina area, I have my eye on several houses for our next big group trip. I don't have the names in front of me right now but I could get them for you if you are interested.

chicago,IL
Level Contributor
235 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recommendation for Villa Agency

Are your wedding guests big "family groups" or

couples & individuals?

You might be safer to contact the Westin and get

a group rate if that is possible- if you are

concerned about people cancelling etc. That might

be less stressful for you. The Westin is close

to Cruz Bay. Are you all staying for a week or more?

We stayed in a daring villa- Chez Shell (VIVA rental

company) right next door is Dream Catcher (Caribbean

Villas I think)

Idyllic (Vacation Vistas) is next to Chez Shell

All those houses on same small road, but they are

different rental companies)They are just above the

Westin.

Tennis Villa and Cottage are close by to those

houses (not sure what rental company that is)Tennis

Villa is a bigger property. Good luck with your search.