We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Villa or Cottage Rentals Nearest to the Beach

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
illinois
6 posts
Save Topic
Villa or Cottage Rentals Nearest to the Beach

We're planning a trip in April, renting a cottage or villa. The MOST IMPORTANT thing to me (besides the cost!) is being close to the beach as I am a beach bum, not having to walk 10 minutes to get to it. Also, for my husband is having things to do as he gets very bored very easily!

Any suggestions on a 1-2 bedroom rental? Also, how far of a drive from Cruz/Coral Bay/Chocolate Hole to Trunk Bay?

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,699 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Villa or Cottage Rentals Nearest to the Beach

Gibney Cottages, Rainbow Beach and Peter Bay Beach House come to mind immediately as villas on the beach. There are several other places within very short walking distance to sandy beaches (greater Cruz Bay, Chocolate Hole, Hawksnest, Reef, and Francis areas particularly) and several villas on sandy/rubble or pebble beaches (Klein, Devers, Kiddle, and Haulover are areas to look). Actual beachfront property is extremely rare, which is one of the reasons St John is so special; ie, a majority of the beaches are not built on and remain mostly pristine.

If you wish for a greater number of beachfront rentals in the VI, I would definately suggest Virgin Gorda. There are several beachfront rentals that are not overdone, nor do they spoil the environment. Rentals there are available at Mahoe, Mango, Nail, and Guavaberry. Mahoe and Guavaberry in particular have villas that are beachfront on ridiculously lovely beaches with fine snorkeling just off shore.

new york
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Villa or Cottage Rentals Nearest to the Beach

You could stay at the Virgin Grande and walk to the Westin beach and that is ten minute walk. ( The Virgin Grande is a bunch of nice villas that is owned and operated by a bunch of companies so there is really no bias. ) However I would agree that St. John isn't really an on the beach type island, but nobody seems to mind driving a bit to the beaches.

new york
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Villa or Cottage Rentals Nearest to the Beach

You could stay at the Virgin Grande and walk to the Westin beach and that is ten minute walk. ( The Virgin Grande is a bunch of nice villas that is owned and operated by a bunch of companies so there is really no bias. ) However I would agree that St. John isn't really an on the beach type island, but nobody seems to mind driving a bit to the beaches.

new york
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Villa or Cottage Rentals Nearest to the Beach

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Villa or Cottage Rentals Nearest to the Beach

You could also try Kallaloo... basically a 100yd walk to Gibney and Hawksnest, and 2 minutes from Trunk or Cinnamon... (http://cateredto.com/VillaPhotos/KLL/1)

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,676 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Villa or Cottage Rentals Nearest to the Beach

The reason that STJ is such a popular destination is the National Park. With nearly 2/3rds of the island within the Park borders, all the fabulous and pristine beaches do not have any homes on them.

While there are a limited number of homes on beaches, I think that you will find that, in most cases and in my budget case, they are really at the premium price point.

We prefer a villa on a hillside with a beautiful view and breezes and a pool. We hop in the car and head to a beach in the morning, head into town and have lunch, and head to another beach in the afternoon. Or we pack a lunch and sit on the beach all day.

Many people are turned off by this, they much prefer to stay directly on the beach. In those cases, I think that staying at Caneel Bay or the Westin may be a better option for some but I think that you are really doing yourself a disservice by limited yourself to one beach area when the island has so many beautiful beaches to explore.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,387 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Villa or Cottage Rentals Nearest to the Beach

I second the Kallaloo recommendation. It is very caribbean in terms of construction and decor - plantation shutters, ceiling fans, teak furniture, screens only on most windows. We happen to love that type of house but it might not be for everyone.

It is very convenient to town and just minutes (2 or 3 manybe) to Trunk. My mom actually walked to Trunk several times but she is a hard core fitness nut.

illinois
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Villa or Cottage Rentals Nearest to the Beach

I checked into Caneel & Westin but they were out of my budget. I'm now looking for info about Reef Bay, Fish Bay, Solomon/Honeymoon Bay, Cruz Bay, or any other west/northwest part of the island. Any suggestions? I noticed Casa YaYa and am looking for any input.

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,676 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Villa or Cottage Rentals Nearest to the Beach

Reef and Fish Bay are on the South shore. Honeymoon and Soloman are on the North shore and you need to hike to them so there are no houses on them.

I think that if Caneel and the Westin are out of your price range, that any waterfront proerty will be as well.

Here is what we usually ask every one who is looking for a villa.

1. What time of year?

2. How many people?

3. How many bedrooms?

4. Budget?

5. Must have: Pool, A/C?

6. Nice to have?

Many of us know an awful lot about a lot of villas on island and can most likely help you find something.

illinois
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Villa or Cottage Rentals Nearest to the Beach

Budget is no more than $1400/week

2 adults (maybe 1 child not sure yet - age 7)

If a beach is not within a 5-10 min walking distance then a pool is a must.

A/C would be nice but isn't a must.

We are planning April as our time to go..any date in April is fine.

What I would REALLY LIKE is to have a living room/great room be sort of open-air with the deck/patio. I've seen several of these where the living room kind of merges with the deck in an "open living" sort of space.