We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

assistance 4 9/12/09 honeymoon in STJ + STT

seymour, CT
5 posts
Save Topic
assistance 4 9/12/09 honeymoon in STJ + STT

We are getting married in Sept and tossing around the idea of honeymooning in PR (3nights); STJ (4 nights) and STT (2nights). The travel agent suggested The Westin (as Canneel is closed during that time frame), and The Marriott in STT.

WE like the idea of island hopping and are intreasted in seeing the sights, local flavor and the beaches. Any suggestions on tours, or sightseeing would be much appreciated. Also Since we are hopping around...do we need to rent a car/jeep? Whats the avg. range for Taxi's? Do they run at all hours?

Also any suggestions on trips the BVI would be much appreciated.

Thanks so much!

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,751 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: assistance 4 9/12/09 honeymoon in STJ + STT

Just a thought, after our wedding the only thing zI wanted to do was relax and if I had to island hop I would have lost my mind.

If you choose one island, you can day trip from there and still have a great "homebase" as opposed to packing up your stuff every other day.

Also,with 4 nights on STJ you will barely have time to explore all the great beaches on island, thow in a BVI trip and I really think you will be selling yourself short of a much needed trip after your wedding.

My suggestion would be to skip PR and stay on either STT or STJ ( I really recommend STJ but it is my favoite place) rent a car and explore the entire island, take the ferry over to STT for a day or even two, take a day trip to Jost van Dyke or Tortola or Virgin Gorda.

One of thing to consider is that September is hurricane season so be sure to get trip insurance and be prepared that not all restaurants and stores will be open, but the advantage of that is empty beaches!

seymour, CT
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: assistance 4 9/12/09 honeymoon in STJ + STT

Thanks for you advice...we'll deftinely take in into consideration.

Do you have any suggestions on where to rent a car from?

Also, how is the weather in Sept? I know there is the possiblity of hurricans/rain, but that will be everywhere we go during this time period.

all/any suggestions are helpful!

Boston
Level Contributor
158 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: assistance 4 9/12/09 honeymoon in STJ + STT

I agree with Tinkerbelldee. We honeymooned the California Coast and while it was a wonderful trip in retrospect I would have prefered more of a chill out. The constant unpacking and packing got old. I would skip PR this trip and concentrate on SJJ and finish up with a night or two at the Mariott STT. Rent the car on SJJ and tour the island and then just relax at STT at the beach and pool. It's an easy cab ride to the airport and tranistion back to reality.

kod
Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
1,549 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: assistance 4 9/12/09 honeymoon in STJ + STT

September is still hurricane season and this is your honeymoon. Just think how you would feel if the weather was miserable. If it would ruin your trip but you still want the Caribbean, I would pick Aruba. Its not a lush island but has nice beaches, some good hotels, and nice restaurants, and is pretty much immune to hurricanes.

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: assistance 4 9/12/09 honeymoon in STJ + STT

Hi - if you want to island hop why don't you charter a sailboat? September CAN be the absolute best month of the year weather and waterwise. Get trip insurance if you have to cancel, it is inexpensive. Island hopping is cool, you can see all the islands, all your food, liquor, drinks, sleeping accomodation, water transportation, can be included in your total rate. Be sure to ask vessels. There are a LOT of choices for boats. You also don't have to pack, unpack, etc. Also great rates may be out there. Google st thomas sailing vessels or st john sailing vessels and see who comes up. Ask what their rate is and what they offer and where they go. I have been here 40 years and September is usually my favorite time of year; not to many people, weather is great, water is crystal clear. Whatever you do have fun, enjoy the US and British Virgin Islands. PS - Aruba sucks.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
373 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: assistance 4 9/12/09 honeymoon in STJ + STT

You may want to consider a villa for your stay if you choose STJ...It allows a lot of privacy and comfort, and you might find for a small villa that the cost is less than the Westin and you can beach hop and go to restaurants. I've also seen where people hire a chef to come in and make a romantic dinner, etc. And your villa company can probably help arrange to have the fridge and pantry stocked when you arrive.

I think renting a jeep is a great idea as you can see more of the island. I believe most jeeps are about $75/day. The good news is you don't use much gas as the island is small. I stayed in Coral Bay, went to Cruz Bay two evenings and drove to different beaches every day and filled up the tank on the last day.

If you go the villa route, be sure to ask about generators as a back up (not to scare you!)

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
817 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: assistance 4 9/12/09 honeymoon in STJ + STT

Agree with all posters. Anywhere in the US / British Virgin islands would be a great base. You can do some easy day trips. We stayed on Tortola on my honeymoon and visited St. John, Jost Van Dyke and Virgin Gorda -

St. john is definitely the best balance of natural beauty and things to do. That would be my vote if I had to pick one.

The westin is absolutely gorgeous, but a million kids in the pool which is a little distracting on a honeymoon. Definitely do some research on private villas - you'll get some good deals in september, and you'll love the privacy. Gallows point is also a personal favorite.

8. Re: assistance 4 9/12/09 honeymoon in STJ + STT

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 11:18