We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where else have you been

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
daisytown
Level Contributor
583 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where else have you been

Beautiful beaches, white sand,clear water. Great snorkeling from shore. Feeling safe exploring the island. Good restaurants, friendly people. This definately describes St John. Where else have you traveled to that could match that description.

Nancy

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,984 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where else have you been

Bermuda, gorgeous, great beaches, no problem going out at night, but expensive. Short plane ride from PA too.

Grand Cayman. We didn't go out in a car at night, but we walked to different restaurants. Snorkeling was amazing and the beaches were really, really nice.

I wish Jamaica was a place that would fit the bill, but you can't go out at night, which we like.

The Keys, but no snorkeling from shore really. In the US, easy, cheap and beautiful.

Larchmont, New York
Level Contributor
891 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where else have you been

bequia.

new york
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where else have you been

Virgin Gorda

seattle
Level Contributor
80 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where else have you been

Bequia,St Barts,and Angulilla(sorkeling not so great)

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
108 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where else have you been

Grand Cayman--but I thought the restaurants were a little lacking.

Akumal, Mexico

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,671 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where else have you been

Not surprisingly, I would also cast a vote for Virgin Gorda in the Caribbean. Restaurants are fair, sand is often golden rather than white. However, with all respects to my St John friends, I consider the denizens of Virgin Gorda more casually friendly (though, interestingly enough, a tad more formal at first). Virgin Gorda is also statistically safer than any of the USVIs. My favorite place has a 24 hour commissary that operates on the honor system...and it is not located in a gated community. Everyone on the island is aware of it and it does not get pilfered. That speaks volumes about the integrity of the locals. Virgin Gorda may be one of the safest places I have ever been. The snorkeling on VG is very good. As for the beauty of the beaches-the six beaches on the southwestern end of the island not only compare with the best St John has to offer, they are globally unique.

Spinny mentioned Bequia which has a reputation of being St John from 20 years ago.

Not in the Caribbean and totally different feel but Bermuda is also a gem.

Almost all of the Hawaiian islands would meet most of your requirements.

Thailand is not as safe as it was, but the food is some of the best in the world, the reefs are crawling with critters, and the people are famous for their friendliness. Unfortunately, being married with kids I can't partake of their friendliness as much as I use to could which sort of takes all the fun out of it. :)

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,671 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where else have you been

Peachtree, I am down with you for Akumal, too!

georgia
Level Contributor
85 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Where else have you been

Roatan it was a lot like St. John was many years ago.

West bay area beach is like the St. John North shore

beaches. The prices are like St. John was many years ago and the people are the nicest and friendliest I have met in any of the islands. Very tropical and an amazing Zip line thru the rainforest with wild parrots and monkeys watching you.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for St. John, Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
3,075 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where else have you been

We like Anegada, Virgin Gorda and Jost Van Dyke - in that order.

I used to spend a lot of time on the coast of Quintana Roo, from Play del Carmen down to Belize. The biggest problems, besides the rampant development, is the distances you travel betwee interesting spots. The Hawaiian islands have the same problem, along with seasonal heavy surf.

Anegada is particularly cool - you can walk 27 miles on beautiful white sands while seeing nearly no one. The people are very friendly - if you go out for a walk every passing car will stop and ask if you want a ride.

Virgin Gorda feels like St. John did in the early 90s and is probably the closest direct match.

JVD is a lot of fun, but you need a boat to really hit the great snorkeling.

We do a land-based BVI island hopping trip every once in a while and really enjoy ourselves. Tortola is okay, but its big and spread out and can be less friendly.

Cheers, RickG

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
245 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where else have you been

Anguilla has most of that, although the snorkeling wasn't so hot where we were. Same with Vieques. Grand Cayman was OK, but a little too Americanized for our taste.

However, we've been to the Caribbean every winter since '02 and never to the same island twice -- until this year. We're going back to St. John in less than two weeks! It's just our second time, but it certainly won't be the last.