We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

newbie trip report..

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
boston, ma
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
newbie trip report..

First off, I've been a T.A. lurker for quite some time and this is my first post. After reading everyone's trip reports and great advice for so long, I decided that I too needed to give back. This was our second trip to St. John, and I have to say I "get it". The island, the vibe, like heaven on earth. We stayed at Flanders Villa out in beautiful Coral Bay. This was our second stay there. The owners Josh & Suzanne are easy and great to work with. Their house is just heavenly, set up high on the hill overlooking Coral Bay. It has a great open floor plan, with a pool, it's set up for one couple or groups up to 10. The house is decorated beautifully, it's light and airy and definetly has the island feel. It also has a great kitchen with was equipped with all you could need to prepare a great meal. (if your into cooking while on vacation) it also had a Weber grill for some easy barbequing which is more our speed. We were accompanied by my brother and his girlfriend, who on Tuesday became husband and wife, on Trunk Bay at sunset. They couldnt have picked a more beautiful place. AnnMarie Porter was their minister and she was simply perfect. The rest of the week was spent just chillin' and relaxing, that's what vacation is to us. The beach, a few good books, some snorkeling and the peace that seems to envelope you while your there. We had a great time introducing the newlyweds to all we love about St. John. We tried to hit a different beach everyday. Salt Pond, Jumbie, Maho, Francis and Hawksnest. My brother loved the snorkeling, especially the turtles and stingrays. His new wife, loved the donkeys and goats. Of course we had to take them to Skinny's for their famous burgers, The Donkey Diner for some "kickass" breakfast, Shipwreck and Aqua Bistro. As you can see we spend most of our time on the Coral Bay side, which suits us just fine. We did manage to make it to town one day for shopping and delicious bbq from Uncle Joes. Once my new sister-in-law tried it, she was hooked and made my brother go back twice during the week for more. We've only been back 10 days and I'm already trying to figure out how soon we can get back. 9 days just isnt enough.

I wanted to thank everyone on this forum for their input (especially Rick G, Pia, St John Julie) you really make the island come alive and keep us feeling connected when we can't be there in person, your help, time and generosity are truly appreciated.

Peace Out!!!

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,351 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: newbie trip report..

An awesome trip report and I know that those you've mentioned will also thank you for sharing. After reading your report I've got one big knot in my throat. Only a short 10 minutes away from STJ I haven't been over there for way too long. Caribbean time may be Caribbean time but, for those of us who live here, the years slip by so damned fast! Lovely to read, so glad you had such a good time and, you're right, 9 days isn't enough. You're hooked, and hope you can get back here soon. Cheers!

Holland, MI
Level Contributor
1,220 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: newbie trip report..

I loved your trip report. It sounds like you had a perfect trip. We're looking forward to our trip to STJ in June and while we're there we hope to see Flanders Villa. It looks really beautiful. We love the Coral Bay side too. AnnMarie baptized our grand daughter two years ago at Maho Bay. She is really special.

Hope your 're-entry' goes well.

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: newbie trip report..

I'm glad you had a wonderful trip and loved Flanders - that is good to know because my extended family are staying there in June also :)

Congrats to the newlyweds and hope to see you on STJ for your next trip which will be soon I'm sure :)

Pia

Washington DC
Level Contributor
82 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: newbie trip report..

Thanks for the post! It sounds like you had a wonderful time. We are heading to STJ at the end of June and staying at Flanders Villa for two weeks. I am so glad to hear you loved it!

Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
254 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: newbie trip report..

This must be the Flanders Villa fan club....we'll be there at the end of July. We stayed near Chocolate Hole last time (Crystal Seaview, wonderful villa but we didn't want to look at the Pond Bay construction on this trip). We're looking forward to trying the Coral Bay side of the island this time. Thanks to beantown baby for her reviews of Flanders, I'm really looking foward to our stay.

Are all of the bedrooms accessible within the main house? I couldn't tell from the web site but it sounded like one of them was separate from all of the others?

St. John
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: newbie trip report..

So glad you all had a nice time! Thanks for taking the time to do a trip report. Please tell your brother and sister-in-law congrats and we hope to see you all back on STJ soon!

Sunny California
Level Contributor
2,100 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: newbie trip report..

Thanks for the report... We're heading out to STT (plan on day trips to STJ) for the first time in July. Godd trip reports like this get me excited about my upcoming trip.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: newbie trip report..

Flanders Villa is on our long list. I understand that only the bedrooms have AC. Did you think it got warm in other parts of the house?

boston, ma
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: newbie trip report..

The main "great room" has three different ceiling fans..so it always felt comfortable.. also being up so high on the hill, there is usually a breeze, atleast when we are usually there (end of March beginning of April)..

10. Re: newbie trip report..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 November 2009, 05:19