We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

pain killer recipe?

Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
pain killer recipe?

How do you make a pain killer? A lot of people seem to like them!

Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
6,002 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: pain killer recipe?

The original recipe from the Soggy Dollar bar calls for dark rum, Coco Lopez, Orange juice and Pineapple juice, shaken and topped with freshly grated nutmeg.

That is how I make them. Yummmy!

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
36 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: pain killer recipe?

The painkiller is a delicious drink - here is the recipe that we use:

1 oz. cream of coconut

1 oz. orange juice

4 oz. pineapple juice

2 oz. dark rum

Mix all ingredients together, pour over ice and top with freshly grated nutmeg.

Pittsford, New York
Level Contributor
1,464 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: pain killer recipe?

I use the same recipe as above, but I mix in terms of cans rather than ounces. Makes for an easier second (and third, and well you get the picture)

Our community is here to help!Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor
Marietta, Ga. USA
Level Contributor
516 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: pain killer recipe?

Here you go, oldbuddy. This is the best one I've tried and I've drank enough of them to float a battlship ;) I do, however, prefer Myers Dark rather than the Pusser's. ENJOY!!

A Most Famous Virgin Island Specialty

(for one drink)

1.5 oz Dark Rum

1.5 oz Orange Juice

1 oz Pineapple Juice

1 oz Coco Lopez

Fresh Nutmeg

(regular can be substituted)

Slice of Orange &/or Pineapple & Maraschino Cherry for garnish

Mix juices together in a cocktail shaker. Pour juices into a glass filled with ice. Add rum then top with a grating of fresh nutmeg (you can be pretty liberal with the nutmeg; see how much you like but it is a definite ingredient not just a garnish). Finish with a swizzle stick or straw. Painkillers are best made with Pusser's Rum and fresh nutmeg, both of which you can get here in St John. Our neighbors: St John Spice have fresh nutmeg and graters for sale.

Painkillers are, as directed here, not shaken.

St Thomas, USVI
Level Contributor
30 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: pain killer recipe?

Hi - all the above recipes sound great. One thing I like to add though is SPICED RUM!!! Makes it perfect.

Level Contributor
116 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: pain killer recipe?

I particularly liked the Soggy Dollar Bar "Nilla Killa". Does anyone know if it's the same recipe but just with vanilla rum?

7. Re: pain killer recipe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 November 2009, 05:34