We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gift Ideas for STJ Villa Host?

54b
Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
597 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Gift Ideas for STJ Villa Host?

My wife and I don't ever like to show up empty handed (even when we’re paying the rack rate) and we’re trying to think of something cool to bring for our villa hosts. Usually we bring something from our home state, but I just can’t see our hosts really enjoying another coffee table book about Texas Wildflowers or the History of Barbed Wire.

So I was thinking there must be something that STJ locals really covet, something that’s tough to get on the island that we may take for granted stateside.

It’s okay if it’s something really simple or practical. I’m not trying to bring contraband Levi’s Jeans to Russia here, I just want to bring something they’ll really appreciate.

Thanks,

54b

PS. Can you bring ground up coffee grains to the USVI?

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,787 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gift Ideas for STJ Villa Host?

What do you mean by villa hosts?

When I arrive on island, a paid greeter meets me and shows me how to get to the villa and leaves. They work for a company and are not the owners. There are a few rentals that have on island owners on premise, but that is not normally the case.

If you are staying at a property that has an onsite owner and you must bring something, I would think something that is from your area of the country. For instamce, from New England, I would probably bring maple syrup.

If you are just renting a house through an on island agency I would not bring a gift. Who would you give it to? The greeter may not even work for that company but just be hired to pick you up.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,846 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gift Ideas for STJ Villa Host?

Second Tinkerbelldee's post but your thought is lovely and that's what really counts!

After living here for so long there's nothing much that I really miss or crave and when people from here are going off-island to either the mainland or to England for a visit or are coming here to visit and ask me, "What can I bring you?" I invariably hit a total mental blank.

When my old brain IS working at full steam I can think of several things and then rely on friends to bring or send me some really stupid things that I can't find here for the most part. And then some people totally trick me and bring me things I'd forgotten about or didn't know about. REAL HP sauce, Marmite, real bacon, licorice Allsorts (I have enough now to last me for years - no more please!)

A visitor last year presented me with a bottle of some incredible Texas hot sauce and a mug which says, "Don't Mess With Texas!" quite out of the blue and then there are some friends who own a couple of condos here who, when they come to visit, bring me a box of totally sinful designer chocolates. Trust me that those chocolates are squirreled away, are NOT shared and inevitably last only a couple of days...

Oh and then friends also from Texas who brought me a few of their home-grown wonderfully sweet REAL tomatoes. Oh the joy!

My apologies for rambling, I just got over one bug and am now sick again with a fever but I couldn't resist the temptation to respond.

And, yes, you can bring ground coffee here. Cheers!

54b
Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
597 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gift Ideas for STJ Villa Host?

Okay, well, maybe I didn't read the fine print, but the owners of the villa asked us to call them directly when we made it to St. Thomas to let them know what ferry we'd be on so they could meet us at the dock...but maybe that's just their cue to call a "paid greeter" to come snatch us.

Regardless, it's a greeter and a warm body, not some gun for hire. So if we give the greeter a little tchotchke, maybe they'll go above and beyond when showing us the villa and giving us the low down.

STJResident...good ideas, we've got these chocolate confections here called Longhorns. They're chock full of all sorts of sinful goodness and that's probably what we'll bring.

Thanks again,

54b

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,266 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gift Ideas for STJ Villa Host?

Krispy Kreme donuts seem to be a huge success - airport Cinnabuns go over pretty good - local wine is often welcome - real Maple syrup for sure - Pa Dutch specialties are a huge hit at my house - bring some ring bologna, scrapple, apple butter, etc. and I'm happy.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,084 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gift Ideas for STJ Villa Host?

We brought down Taylors Porkroll to Mike at Molly Mallones and you would have though we brought him its weight in gold.

The chocolates sounds wonderful, but make sure that they're in a cooler or something cold so they don't melt.

Have fun!

6. Re: Gift Ideas for STJ Villa Host?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2009, 06:19