We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving July 4th Carnival..what to expect

Cherry Hill, NJ
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Topic
Arriving July 4th Carnival..what to expect

Hi,

We are flying into St Thomas but staying on St JOhn. We have been hearing horror stories about the crowds when we arrive. Does anyone know what we should expect..or have any advice about how long it may take to make it to St John? We are arriving at 2pm in St Thomas. Thanks very much!!

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,905 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving July 4th Carnival..what to expect

It will be pretty busy on STJ. If you have rented a car you will not be able to pick it up and many rental agencies do not do pick ups on Carnival.

I can not imagine any horror to your arrival, just a lot of activity and merriment.

If you are staying at the Westin or Caneel, you will have no issues at all. I would just plan to spend your first night at the resort.

If not, make sure that you have a plan for how to get to your lodging. There will be some taxis around but depending on the location, it may be a little tricky getting out of town.

Cherry Hill, NJ
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving July 4th Carnival..what to expect

Hi

We are staying at Andante By the Sea...we cannot pick up our jeep until July 5th..any ideas?

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,905 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving July 4th Carnival..what to expect

I would call your rental agency and ask them what they suggest. You will not be able to do too much so you really need to have a plan of some sort.

If you take a taxi to the house, you are most likely stuck there, not a bad thing, but you will need food and drink, so you will have to figure out what is open and if you can get a taxi to stop for you.

Virgin Islands
Level Contributor
403 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving July 4th Carnival..what to expect

All should be quiet on St. Thomas, and you ought to get to Red Hook within 30 to 45 minutes after claiming your bags. The parade should be over by the time you get to Cruz Bay, but it will still be difficult to get around right downtown. I would ask your rental agency if they can arrange to have you met and taken to an open market (probably all of them, certainly Starfish will be available) and then on to the villa. If they don't have anyone on staff that can do it, they ought to be able to set you up with a reliable taxi.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
487 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriving July 4th Carnival..what to expect

This happened to us last year. The greeter met us at the ferry and had to drive us himself in his girlfriend's car because he couldn't get us a taxi. The parade was almost over but the streets were all blocked off so we had to walk a couple blocks with our luggage. I was warned on this forum about the situation. I had a food provisioning service bring groceries, drinks and a catered dinner for that night because we couldn't pick up our car either. East West catering was the name, I think. The food was great, but expensive ( though about the same price as going to a nice restaurant ). This year, we are coming down on July 11th!

6. Re: Arriving July 4th Carnival..what to expect

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 December 2009, 05:20