We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I have drinks with ice?

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle
1 post
Save Topic
Can I have drinks with ice?

Yeah! I'm going to St John tomorrow. I know in Mexico you need to be careful of drinks that have ice in them because of the water issue. Is the same true in St John? I'm planning on drinking bottled water and brushing my teeth with it, but what about mixed drinks?

Thanks!

St. John
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I have drinks with ice?

I don't think you need to worry! I have never heard of anyone who has had any trouble with the water/ice here. Most villas, and all the restaurants use filtered water and ice machines. I think that you will be ok using the water from the faucet for brushing your teeth as well. Hope you have a great time on STJ! Safe travels!

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for St. John, Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
3,100 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I have drinks with ice?

St. John is NOT a third world country, it's part of the USA. The water at in Cruz Bay is treated city water and the water at the resorts and villas is either cistern or reverse osmosis that is filtered. If you're in a villa, ask the greeter about the water at your specific property.

That being said, we buy gallons of St. John Pure Water for drinking, at the grocery store of at St. John Ice in the Lumberyard.

Cheers, RickG

chicago
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I have drinks with ice?

hahahaha its not mexico. i drank straight out of the tap at my villa and i believe after getting out of that salt water i even let the fresh water showers touch my tongue....i used the cruzan to brush my teeth it was so cheap! and wait til you see the prices on a case of bottled water we got ours on sale at starfish for 12.99 and it said the usaull price was up to 19.99

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for St. John, Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
3,100 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I have drinks with ice?

Gallons of St. John Pure water are a lot cheaper than the standard brands. It's bottled city water that has been filtered and UV sanitized. We like to freeze a gallon and take it to the beach as the ice pack in our cooler - we can drink the melt!

Cheers, RickG

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,164 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I have drinks with ice?

We've been drinking the water for 30 years and never had a problem!!

In fact, one of the first times we went to the islands in the late 70s, we got stranded at the old St. Thomas airport because of a storm and talked away the night with a fellow from the states who was working with the local water supply and sanitation people. Not to worry. :)

When in Mexico, however, I don't drink the water nor use ice unless I know the resort has a proper filtering system (such as the one at Hacienda Chichen in Chichen Itza)or sometimes you can tell from the shape of the ice cubes whether they've been made from bottled or tap water (the cylindrical shaped cubes with a hole in the middle, for example, are okay)...anyway, if you don't know in Mexico, don't partake.

Rocky Top
Level Contributor
1,422 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can I have drinks with ice?

Never had a problem with STJ water. But when I drink a couple of Bushwackers I see two of my wife and One wife is enough for me. 8^)

Have a great trip!

7. Re: Can I have drinks with ice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2009, 08:18