We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report June 19-29

Reston, Virginia
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Topic
Trip Report June 19-29

Our fourth visit to St. John and the longest time spent on the island. It was a trip of unexpected twists, great snorkeling and new places visited.

Day 1 - Arrived in St. Thomas, supposed to stay overnight at Hotel 1829 but get a cell phone message that we've been diverted to Blackbeards Hotel, no reason given. Stay at Blackbeard's Hotel not bad. Staff was gracious.

Day 2 - Head to Red Hook, ferry on over to St John. Weather is very warm and humid, as it will be throughout the trip. We get the rental jeep at St. John Car Rental, and make our way to Centerline Rd, discover that the Texaco is gone (yay!). We stop near Bordeaux Mt, get out to take some pics and discover the joys of mosquitos, who not satisfied with chasing us back into the jeep, invade the jeep so we're driving and trying to kill the buggers at the same time. We get lost for a bit but eventually make our way to Coral Bay, then to our first stay of the trip, Concordia Suites. Arrive in time for dinner (very good) and settle into our unit. Remained muggy for much of the evening and the fan was weak.

Day 3 - Snorkeled Salt Pond Bay, which was unfortunately somewhat murky this trip. Did see some squid and lots of fish but it was hard seeing anything 10 feet in front of you. We also hiked over to Drunk Bay, where I made a Snoopy in the rocks. Had dinner at Skinnylegs (Blue Cheese Burger - YUM!) and spent a second humid night at Concordia.

Day 4 - Checked out of Concordia, attacked by mosquitos again on the walkway to our jeep. My legs are starting to look like I have smallpox. Have lunch at Shipwreck Landing (very good!) Drive back to Cruz Bay and settle into Gallows Point, room 7A (great view!) We snorkel at Gallows, find a spotted drum and several trunk and trumpet fish. Late evening takeout from the Beach Bar (pretty good) and settle in, relishing the AC!

Day 5 - Spent the day at Hawksnest. Had some pretty good snorkeling. Coral looked healthy. Noticed alot more soft corals this trip than in the past. Stayed to watch the sunset and had dinner at the Lime Inn (so so).

Day 6 - Trunk Bay, went around Trunk Cay, coral here is more healthy than I've seen it, given how busy it is, especially on the far end of the cay. Also noticed many more trunk fish than I've seen in the past. Dinner at The Balcony (very good, though the place was virtually empty.

Day 7 - Moved to unit 3C at Gallows (supposed to be 3D but the AC unit was broken). Snorkeled Maho. Great snorkelling on the point between little and big Maho. Nassau Grouper, large angelfish (french & Queen) and tons of schools of silversides, with various species of jacks darting in and out, grabbing a snack. Mosquitos in abundance here so we stayed in the water and ran like the wind to the jeep. Still got munched. Now my legs look like I belong in leper colony. Take out dinner at Joes BBQ (Always great!). Found out about Michael Jackson & Farrah Fawcett so we turned the TV on for the first time all trip to catch up.

Day 8 - Drove to the Annaberg ruins and hiked the Leinster Bay trail to Waterlemon Cay (not a bad hike and the bugs were tolerable). Spotted a 5 foot nurse shark, and large Green Sea Turtle. Corals here are spectacular and the current was strong but not too bad. More Nassau Grouper, huge parrot fish and several large Southern Stingrays. Dinner at the Fish Trap(Excellent).

Day 9 - Worn out from Waterlemon so stuck close Gallows. Went to Coconut Coast Studios for some art shopping and snorkeled from there back to Gallows. Another takeout Joes BBQ.

Day 10 - Attended the food fair in Cruz Bay (fantastic local foods. We ate fish and conch patties and tried a sour sop) We watched a new St. John Festival Queen be coronated and then watched the boat races from the platform in the middle of the snorkel area at Gallows. Packed late into the evening to prepare for an early flight home

Palm Tree Charters
Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Private Tours
Cruz Bay Watersports
Scuba & Snorkeling, Parasailing & Paragliding, Boat Tours
Sunshine Daydream Boat Charters
Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling
Love City Excursions
Boat Tours, Water Sports, Scuba & Snorkeling, Private Tours
Cedar Point, North...
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report June 19-29

Great report!

SomewhereinGeorgia
Level Contributor
87 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report June 19-29

Great report...it sounds like you had a wonderful time!! Just a quick question....you mentioned staying at Gallows in 7A then moving to 3C....is that because you wanted a new room with a different view for part of the week or were there problems? It sounds like the snorkeling at Gallows was decent....I'm excited, we are staying there in October! Glad you had a great trip! ^____^

3. Re: Trip Report June 19-29

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2015, 14:11
Reston, Virginia
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report June 19-29

We wanted to try out both rooms. Originally it was supposed to be 3D buy the AC unit had blown out and by the time they replaced it, we had already settled in to 3C. In our 4 different trips there, we've tried out several different units. Both this time were wonderful! :)

Reston, Virginia
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report June 19-29

We stayed there for two nights. For us, the only real downfall was the lack of a cool breeze and a ton of humidity but it wasn't a deal breaker by any means. The views are spectacular, the food is great, and access to Salt Pond Bay and Drunk Bay make it well worth the effort. The one thing I warn anyone going to the island this year is that the mosquitos are much worse than usual this year due to all the rain they had in May and early June. Hopefully it will die down by the time you get there but those nasty little bugs did a number on me. Bring lots of bug spray (Jungle Juice is highly recommended)

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
435 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report June 19-29

Nice trip report...........Thanks for posting it..........

7. Re: Trip Report June 19-29

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2010, 05:17