We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beaches with the in-laws

Roanoke, Virginia
Level Contributor
143 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
beaches with the in-laws

123 days and counting until I return to STJ!!! Last time was my honeymoon...this time I am coming with my wife and her parents. Believe it or not, thats a good thing!! Basic question for Pia and others is this:

We will be staying in Coral Bay and want to take the 80 +/- year old inlaws to the beach to enjoy things. Salt Pond is probably too rough a climb back up. Vie's maybe? Suggestions for chill at waters edge with the multi-generational group?

oh, did I mention 123 days??????????????????? (grin)

Win

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,153 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: beaches with the in-laws

Maho, parking right at the beach.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,417 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: beaches with the in-laws

I agree with Mayo, but also Hawksnest, Francis and even Trunk. Of course the last three are on North Shore Rd but I think your in-laws would enjoy the views along the drive.

18 days!!!!

Carol

Kansas City
Level Contributor
342 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: beaches with the in-laws

So long as you are in jeeps, Lameshur is right out past Salt Pond. Parking lot right at the beach edge. With water shoes, getting into the water is pretty easy too, just some small rocks at the entrance to the water. Stopping at Tourist Trap after Lameshur is a great place to have a snack or drink.

Maho is hands down the easiest beach. I think Vie's would be fine too. I could spend every day at Maho, Francis or Trunk if I needed to!!

Enjoy and congrats!

Nicolle

Roanoke, Virginia
Level Contributor
143 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: beaches with the in-laws

Thanks everyone! Isn't Lamsure a rock beach and little lamesure a sandy one? Trying to recall...

Syosset, New York
Level Contributor
2,472 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: beaches with the in-laws

Francis Bay also has parking right by the beach...one of my favorite beaches on St. John. Caneel is a great one too. My family (5 people) plus my grandparents (in their late 70s...one is wheelchair bound) go to Caneel for the buffet lunch and then we swim in their beach (which is very accessible for the inlaws. If the inlaws have problems walking, tell the people at the gates when you get in that you have a handicapped person or elderly people that cannot make the walk. They will then open the below gate to let you in to drop of everyone at the circular drop off near the restaurant/beach. I hope this helps!!

Helen

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,747 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: beaches with the in-laws

My only concern with Francis is that I think the water entry and exit may be challenging for 80 somethings.

Maybe it was the water conditiions or where we sat when we visited (many times) but the sand at the edge of the beach seemed to drop off much more than other beaches and the sand was also soup-y and I sink into above my ankles.

Maho is definately a good choice, as is Caneel's main beach.

Herndon, VA
Level Contributor
731 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: beaches with the in-laws

Trunk has lifeguards, food, and bathrooms. You can find shade near the lifeguard station to the left as you enter the beach.

Ed

Boston
Level Contributor
3,943 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: beaches with the in-laws

If you make it to Vie's and she's open, I will be very, very jealous. We have tried several trips there AFTER being reassured by EVERYONE that she would be at the shack that day and the place is ALWAYS closed!! Will we try again this December- probably, the challenge is there! About 120 plus days for us too!!!

9. Re: beaches with the in-laws

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 June 2014, 17:05
Minneapolis
Level Contributor
147 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: beaches with the in-laws

To access beaches like Honeymoon , Soloman, etc, can we just park our rental jeep in Caneels parking lot for free without them caring, or do you just park along side the road?? Thanks.