We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do we need A/C

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
71 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Do we need A/C

We are looking for full AC homes with 3 kings or queens but having a hard time finding one available for April 17-24. We have however found homes that have bedroom only A/C. What are the opinions from the USVI pros ? Let me add that I sweat my butt off in warm temps.

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,859 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Do we need A/C

95% of all homes in the USVI's have only bedroom A/C so that is normal :)

Pia

NE Arkansas
Level Contributor
367 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do we need A/C

Get a villa with an awesome view, and you'll find that you will not be indoors anyway, except to sleep. Many homes have a constant breeze blowing, and ceiling fans are common, too.

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,790 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do we need A/C

Ah, one of the most asked questions on this forum. This best way to answer is to say that you know your temperature range better than anyone on this forum giving you advice. Here are a few three or more bedrooms that have full a/c:

www.caribbeanvilla.com/hibsolmr/hibiscus.html

www.caribbeanvilla.com/hibsolmr/delsol.html

www.caribbeanvilla.com/ellison/index.html

Now, for my opinion. I have no problem staying in a house that has a/c only in the bedrooms, and yes I too sweat my butt off (just love living in Georgia). I am not generally at the house from 9am-4pm during the fill heat of the day. As noted, most houses have elevation, light to heavy breezes, and ceiling fans, not to mention pools. If you get too hot you just whip up a cold fruity drink and hit the pool.

Oklahoma USA
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Do we need A/C

yes. We dont see how people survive (other than time to acclimate). AC is the only way to go.

Johnsons-Oklahoma

Allen, Texas
Level Contributor
365 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Do we need A/C

A/C in the bedrooms is a must for us to drown out the sounds of tree frogs at night and roosters in the early morning!

We had full a/c once but the great room never seemed cool since we were going in and out the doors all the time! Just hop in the pool to stay cool!

NJ
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do we need A/C

i am an AC kinda person but having the ac in bedrooms only was fine... but that was nov. and april may be warmer....saw this on lisa's site:

vacationvistas.com/Villas/idyllic_villa_st_j…

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,917 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do we need A/C

I think a full AC house is wasteful on STJ unless you plan to spend more than 5 hours a day at the villa.

With AC in the bedroom, I sleep just fine. We are out of the house within 2 hours of walking up and off to the beach or the BVIs. We get back and take a shower in the AC'ed bedroom and head out to dinner and have some drinks in town. Get home and have a drink looking at the stars from the deck and go to bed in our bedroom with AC.

We do usually spend one day just lounging at the house. But we are by the pool.

I have central air at home in CT, but never look for it on vacation. It is the caribbean and I want to spend my time outside!

St.John US Virgin...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Do we need A/C

Interesting how we all look at things differently:)

I love the sounds treefrogs at night and birds in the early morning.

Tinkerbelldee makes a good point about being wasteful. All those AC's blowing make us more dependant on foreign oil--especially in the VI with our electricity being oil based...

Lots of airborne bacteria and fungi in those AC's too. Take in some of that pure clean unpolluted Caribbean air... Natural ventilation is better for you. Not to mention your body gets rid of toxins and possible disease by sweating a little. Try a villa at a higher altitude, and you will be amazed even during the summer months of how comfortable it is at night... If you just can't live without AC, at least turn it off when you leave the house. If you saw the utility bill on some of these large homes you would think it was the mortgage payment.

9. Re: Do we need A/C

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2015, 14:11
CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,917 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do we need A/C

On top of Ajax peak you will want to turn the breezes off, you will have no problem at all.

There is a reason that very few houses are full AC, when you are up high, there is no need for it at all.

We stayed in the Hart Bay and Rendezvous areas the past 2 years, one house had no AC and I slept with a blanket every night.

You will be on a tropical island, enjoying the fresh clean air, the beautiful beaches, and crytsal blue water. The last thing I go to STJ for is AC, I can get that at home.