We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bordeaux Mountain or Upper Carolina ?

KC, MO
Level Contributor
459 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Bordeaux Mountain or Upper Carolina ?

My family is planning on visiting STJ for the first time June/July 2010 and I believe I have it down to 2 villas now! Casa Bueno on Bordeaux Mtn and Luminaria in Upper Carolina.

Any advice on either location/villa would be greatly appreciated and helpful in deciding on these 2.

Thank you!

Jo

covington ga
Level Contributor
338 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bordeaux Mountain or Upper Carolina ?

we stayed at casa b late july to early aug and loved her. great location for a 1st timer since only a short distance from centerline rd and easy drive into coral bay and to north shore beaches. did a long comment on her on viol chat board. will be a more central location than luminaria but have heard some good comments about her. only villa ever stayed in where never turned on ac in at least bedrooms.

papabou

Doylestown...
Level Contributor
708 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bordeaux Mountain or Upper Carolina ?

Hi Islandjo - I have been reading your posts. We are also planning on coming to St. John next June/July with our two kids 12 and 8. I have been researching for several months now also for that great villa. Your criteria for a villa sounds very similar to us. We also would like Coral Bay area. Casa Bueno is also on our list but thought I would mention to you that I believe the pool is not large. One of the forum members PM'd me and said it was a small pool so check that out if that is important. Also, check out the other forum site (virgin islands on line.com) the people there are great also.

I use both forums and love them both but sometimes you get different input from different people. Right now I am taking a break from looking at villas as it is a bit overwhelming at times. Just when you think you find one something does not meet your needs. We are also looking at interior access. I am not ready to have my kids in separate buildings - yet. Hope this helps and good luck. You can also find Casa Bueno on the VRBO site with I think two reviews.

Doylestown...
Level Contributor
708 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bordeaux Mountain or Upper Carolina ?

Hi there papabou - you just beat me to my reply. Now I remember it was you that stayed there so maybe you can let islandjo know the pool size. I believe you said it was small is that correct?

KC, MO
Level Contributor
459 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bordeaux Mountain or Upper Carolina ?

Hi papabou,

I went to viol and read your trip report. Thank you, it confirmed that Casa Bueno is a nice villa and that the location is good as well! Did you feel that this area of the island was any more humid than other parts? I just heard it was like a small rain forest there.

doyle has emailed and thought you may had said that the pool was small...do you recall the size of the pool? I read that it is 12x20 and 5 foot deep, which is larger than most!

Thanks again for the first hand info!

Jo

KC, MO
Level Contributor
459 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bordeaux Mountain or Upper Carolina ?

Hi doyle,

I feel your pain...sounds like we are in the same frustrating boat...quest for the perfect villa!!! Sink or Swim...I am going to get there! And I know you will too!

I am turning in for now and will have sweet dreams of STJ!

Good luck and maybe we will be able to help each other with the search.

Jo

covington ga
Level Contributor
338 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bordeaux Mountain or Upper Carolina ?

jo,

pool was about 12X20 and as big as any we've had on island, not a "lapper" but big enough to relax and with a great view from pool if your're at least 5'8".

our prior 10 trips to stj have been between oct and april and never in summer, always thought it would be too hot. further always satayed in west facing villas so frankly wound up at casa b because she was in area bride wanted to reduce drives to north shore and she had full ac (and looked like a great villa and supper value). breezes were heavenly (almost too much at times) and never used ac. rained a couple of evenings but humidity was never a problem for us. i believe it would be hunid in that area in rainy season if winds died down but then the house has full ac for that!

while cloud 9 on gifft hill had been our favorite (4 times there), our next trip will begin with a review of casa b's availability calendar. looking at alternate dates for fall guy trip to try and catch an opening at casa b. enough said?

papabou

KC, MO
Level Contributor
459 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bordeaux Mountain or Upper Carolina ?

Hi papabou,

Thank you for the info about the pool and your perspective about the humidity.

Also, I did not realize it was a full a/c villa, thought a/c was only in the bedrooms. Wanted to make sure we had a/c in the bedrooms at least, thought it would make for a better night's sleep if needed in June/July!

Thanks again!

Jo

Boston
Level Contributor
73 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bordeaux Mountain or Upper Carolina ?

Stayed at Lumineria earlier this year. Outstanding! Views were to die for, pool was great, in the shade or partial shade most of the time. Hot tub on deck was fantastic. House itself is top class, comfortable beds. We used the air a few nights. Units very quiet and we ended up shutting it off, it got too cold!

The only bad thing I can say about Lumineria is that the driveway is very very steep and it's an adventure turning around in the driveway but dont let that stop you!!

We have also stayed on Bordeaux but not at the villa you mentioned. You can't go wrong with either location.

9. Re: Bordeaux Mountain or Upper Carolina ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2010, 05:19