We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkel Waterlemon with Kids?

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dana Point, CA
9 posts
Save Topic
Snorkel Waterlemon with Kids?

I am wondering if other familiies with children have snorkeled around Waterlemon Cay. We have been to St. John once before when our kids were 10 and 7. We swam from the end of the trail over to Waterlemon Cay, but I was afraid to go around the cay with the kids. Also, no one but me had fins. Next summer, the kids will be 12 and 9 and are fairly good swimmers. If we all have fins this time, I am wondering if we can make the snorkel all the way around the cay. Has anyone with kids about this age done it before? Also, how can you tell if there is a strong current or not? Or do you not know until you are in the water?

daisytown
Level Contributor
584 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkel Waterlemon with Kids?

I did it a few years ago and probably would not do it again. I got very tired on the far side of the island. I would just swim out enjoy the starfish on the way, no need to take any chances .

Nancy

Parker, Colorado
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkel Waterlemon with Kids?

I*f they are airly strong swimmers, I'd go for it. My kids did it when they were that age without any problems. If you are at all concerned about fatigue, just bring a noodle or one of those snorkel belts. You can tell if there is a current that day by watching the sea fans. If they are swaying back and forth, you're in good shape. If they are leaning hard to one side, the current is present. Also, be sure to walk the trail all the way to the closest point to the cay. so you don't have to swim forever to get to it. Waterlelmon is the absolute best snorkeling on the island, and it would be a shame not to see it. We snorkel it counter clockwise, then swim to the little beach area and hang out there for a bit. Just take your time and enjoy it.

Mt.Laurel,NJ
Level Contributor
816 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkel Waterlemon with Kids?

Absolutely give them the thrill.

You can also get those swimming belts if you're overly concerned.

Check out Hurricane Alley near Mongoose Junction. If your villa doesn't already have them for your use, see if you can rent them.

Make it a great challenge for them, then celebrate after with take-out from Uncle Joe's bbq!!!

Have fun, and always-

Smiles-

MJ

5 days 'til Limin' on Maho!!!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
913 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkel Waterlemon with Kids?

Tethered is giving you good info. Just be sure to use a vest or noodle etc if you have any doubt.

5. Re: Snorkel Waterlemon with Kids?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 June 2014, 17:35
KC, MO
Level Contributor
366 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkel Waterlemon with Kids?

Hi mey1,

Our family is going to STJ this summer for the first time...kids ages 13 and 10. By any chance are you going to be on island the last week of June or the first week of July and want to share a day trip to the Baths? If so, send me a PM.

Have fun with vacation planning!

Jo

Dana Point, CA
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkel Waterlemon with Kids?

Hey Islandjo2010,

That is when we will be there! We arrive June 30th and will be there 12 nights. We are definitely planning to go to the Baths. We were considering taking the ferry to Virgin Gorda. Sharing a day trip sounds great. I had looked into it a little bit, but it was quite expensive. Sharing would be more cost effective. Sorry, I don't know how to send a PM (which I assume means personal message). I am a newbie at this. Can you send me a PM? Thanks!

Dana Point, CA
9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkel Waterlemon with Kids?

Thanks everyone for the advice. We will take a noodle or two with us and will look at the sea fans to see about the current. That is great advice. Thanks!

Level Contributor
356 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snorkel Waterlemon with Kids?

We snorkeled it with the kids when they were 9 and 11. They are both strong swimmers (swim team) and so am I but as a former lifeguard on a big lake I'm also fairly cautious. It was surfy around the cay so I liked having the kids on boards tethered to DH and me. Both of them had fins.

I prefer using boogie boards rather than noodles with the kids because I can tether the board(s) to my wrist and the kids can grab on or not if they feel like it. By this age (11 and 13) they don't really need the boards anymore for snorkeling but if we're going out far and/or it's choppy I still like to have at least one board with us.

Plus when it's wavy and we're hanging at the beach they have a blast riding waves with the boards.

KC, MO
Level Contributor
366 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snorkel Waterlemon with Kids?

Hello again mey1,

I received your PM and sent you one!

I am still researching day trips to The Bath...would be great to share the expense!

Take care and happy planning!

Jo