We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

concordia eco tent advice

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
17 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
concordia eco tent advice

we are staying in the concordia eco tents at the end of november (this month!) and are looking for advice from those who've been. Specifically: water-do we need to boil it for drinking or did people bring camping charcoal tablets or water filters?

car- do we need 4 wheel drive? we are going to rent a car does anyone have advice for a good place to rent from

food- good place to buy food--we'd like to cook mostly

also we've read that other people have sent food in advance--what kind of food and did it get there in time?

any other advice on what to or what not to bring is greatly appreciated. we are so looking forward to this. thanks for all your help!

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,674 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: concordia eco tent advice

I was there last summer and greatly enojyed the property. Here are a few suggestions:

(1) Water. Most people buy bottled water in the local stores. The water is fine to cook, brush teeth, and make ice cubes with. It is potable, but I would recommend bottled water.

(2) Most people would say you need four wheel drive. Many roads are steep and when it rains they can get very slick. Four wheel drive will make you feel secure, though most trips we do not use it. There are many rental places to choose from. This link contains a good listing:

http://www.stjohnusvi.com/rentals.html

Here is another link from the same website that list grocery stores and mini marts in Cruz Bay and Coral Bay:

http://www.stjohnusvi.com/food.html\

In increasing number of visitors rent their car on St Thomas and take the car ferry over. The preferred rental comany appears to be Dependable:

http://www.dependablecar.com/

Renting a car on St Thomas allows you to make a stop at grocery stores there. There is better selection and pricing, particularly at Cost U Less, Pueblo, and Marina Market.

http://www.costuless.com/stores.php?l=2&subsection=St.+Thomas&id=17

Sending food ahead or bringing it in rolling coolers is your own call. I like to shop locally and support the local economy.

Good luck!

Nashville
Level Contributor
109 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: concordia eco tent advice

First of all let me say you made THE BEST decision EVER to stay at Concordia!! We had our first stay there in June of 2009 and we are returning next month in December!! Not even 6 months later! We found heaven on earth!! Seriously the best place EVER. We stayed in E9 and this time we will be in a premium tent. You will love it!! SImple and easy, there is Potable water spouts to get drinking water and we filled up our thermos they provided in the tent twice daily, BIG HINT, HUGE!!!! Fill up glasses of water and put them in the frig before you go out for the day, we brought our thermos filled with water and the small ice chest they provide as well filled with canned cokes and snacks and kept that in the Jeep or on the beach. We also bought bread and bologna with chips for our beach snack, snorkeling makes you hungry and we's snack and go back in.

I could go ON AND ON about the place and our experience.

First and foremost if you have not gotten a copy of Feet Fins and Four Wheel Drive, stop reading this NOW and go online and order it!!!!!!!! It is the St John Bible!! I can't imagine anyone going without it. I studied it and highlighted in it for 4 months prior to our first visit and it is so fun to SEE what you read in the book word for word. It is a MUST HAVE!!!

Yes get a Jeep for sure, I think they are all 4wd on the island but nah don't worry about it too much. Don't worry too much about theives, just don't bring anything of value, we too only what we had to and left the rest locked up in the tent. We got a small otterbox type thing and buried it in the sand near our belongings if we had cash or a CC. Our Jeep wa totally missing hte back window so we just never locked it up.

Food, there is an AWESOME cabinet at Concordia near the office where people leave what they didn't use up on their trip and you can use what's left over, potatoes, foil, fresh garlic, charcoal, coffee, shampoo, beach towels..so much more, we checked it twice a day everyday. It saved us tons of $$$$$. We cooked in the tent almost every night. After spending over $40 at Miss Lucy's on a meal for 2 only to find we don't like that kind of food. It was a waste! You MUST buy fresh fish from the guy on the side of the road at Coral Bay across from Crabb'ys!!! We got a whole blue runner for $10 (fresh catch) and grilled it on the grill (in the rain) and had THE BEST DINNER EVER!!! We got the potatoes and charcoal form the cabinet and literally had fresh grilled fish, browned potatoes and corn for $10!! We used Love City Market everyday for provisions. We managed to have a budget of $40 a day on food!!!! We ate at Skinny Legs about 4 times!! We could eat there for less than $20 for 2!! And hello the best hamburger EVER!!

OMG the hermit crabs at the tents!!!!! My fave!! They LOVE the coffee grinds.....LOOOOOVE (yes I am using caps A LOT) I could watch them for hours, litterally you put the coffee grinds out and the hill starts moving, it's a trip, like they send out a signal and EVERY hermit crab comes-a-runnin. SO GREAT. They loved my pancakes!!! We bought bacon, eggs and milk upon arrival and had it for breakfast every day, it managed out to about $2 a breakfast opposed to the $30 Donkey diner breakfast.

Fill the shower every morning as much as it will go. And shower QUICKLY, whatever you think is quick-go faster, the water will run out if 2 are showering!

Oh and there are HUGE tree roaches at night, I had to pee with my feet up, they like the water in the bathroom. YUCK

Bring a little flash light. If you drink coffee bring coffee, sugar and creamer. If you have never been, we were surprised at the sounds of the night!!!!!!! There are these bugs? birds? that start at the same time every night and go on until about 3-4am. It takes some getting used to, actually I posted video of it on youtube, i can send you the link if you like.

If you are a snorkeler I can give you LOTS of advise on that as well.

Biggest tip I can give...go to Coral Bay and STAY THERE! We went to Waterlemon via Centerline road and take a right at this little place..I can't remember the name...some snack place or something, it's a SHARP right and goes wayyyyy down hill straight to Waterlemon and you can keep going to Trunk Bay etc.....be sure to visit the very East End towards Vies Snack shop it's incredible, we snorkeled the mangroves and that's a MUST DO as well. WE loved Haulover bay and Hansen Bay!!!!

We went to Cruz Bay one day to eat at Woody's and after a few peaceful days in Coral Bay going into Cruz Bay felt like New York.

Let's see what else, ok expect the groceries to cost more but really not all that much more than a high priced grocery like Whole Foods or something, it will cost less if you eat in IMHO.

So much more...HAVE FUN!!! 33 more days for me!!!

3. Re: concordia eco tent advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2010, 06:21