We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finalizing Accomodations-Help with options please

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ohio
Level Contributor
177 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Finalizing Accomodations-Help with options please

My husband and I have set our vacation date for St. John. We will be visiting April 19-15. I have narrowed down my list of accommodations to 4. I have checked with property managers and they all have availability for this time.

I would like some input on choosing from the following 4. If anyone on here could give me the good, bad and ugly and which you choose and why I would so appreciate it. I really want to get something booked and purchase my airline tickets. Yea!!!

1. Coconut Coast Condos

2. Serendip

3. Star Villas

4. Lavender Hill

Nebraska
Level Contributor
48 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Finalizing Accomodations-Help with options please

I can't speak for all of the places that you mentioned, but I'll give you my opinion on a couple of the places you mentioned. We stayed at Coconut Coast last May, and were very satisfied. The owners were very nice and helpful, and the condo was in a great location. It was far enough away from the busyness of Cruz Bay, but still only a couple minutes drive away. It is located right next to the water, and my favorite thing of all was listening to the sound of the waves on the rocks just steps outside our patio door all night. The condos weren't fancy, but were comfortable and clean and had everything that we needed. I would stay there again.

One of the other places that we looked at before booking was Lavendar Hill. After having been there in person, I have to say that I liked the Coconut Coast location much better. Lavendar Hill is right by a busy street and seemed very close to all of the craziness of Cruz Bay. I don't remember ever reading anything negative about it though, except the fact that it overlooks a cemetery being mentioned. Other than that, I've read very good comments about it. Oh yeah, and they kept mentioning to watch out for noise from the construction of the big condo/hotel next door. Not sure if that's finished. It looked pretty close in May.

I can't comment about the other two villas mentioned. Good luck on your search.

long island ny
Level Contributor
199 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Finalizing Accomodations-Help with options please

Hi, you'll be there same time as us.4/17-24. Can't help you with any of the villas, this is our 1st time there, but check out the reviews on these places by typing the name in the search box in review section here and see what you get. Can also go to VIOL and send out the same request, alot of the people here are on there too. Might be have a little more luck there.

Good luck in your search, it's part of the fun.

Would recommend getting air booked soon, our flt is sold out. That week is the start up of Carnival on STT, which goes into full swing on the 24th from what I could find out. Have seen the prices go down too on flts lately, but who knows for how long.??

Joliet il
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Finalizing Accomodations-Help with options please

Sorry I can't help with villas either. We are going to be in St. John that same time. My wife and I were down there 2 years ago in April and the weather was perfect. I was wondering if anyone was thinking about doing a day sail to norman island and the caves. If so we are looking for a few people to share a daysail there. We went on a bigger charter last time to the baths and it was nice but we were on a schedule. From what I understand private charters are more laid back. Well anyway if anyone is interested let me know.

Thanks Brett

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Finalizing Accomodations-Help with options please

My wife and I stayed at Lavender Hill on our first trip to St. John in 2005. I have no experience with the others on your list.

The condo at Lavender Hill was very nice, spacious, clean, and well equipped, with a nice view of Cruz Bay harbor. The drawback was the noise of being in town; I think the noise of the ferry and the Beach Bar were worse than that of the construction at Grande Bay next door, primarily because we were out most of the time during the day when the work was going on.

(And this is where I will finally work in my rant about that monstrosity, Grande Bay. It is, in my opinion, an outrage. I was horrified in 2005, in the relatively early stages of its construction and at the very beginning of my love affair with St. John, by the sheer scale of the excavation and the size of the development. Since then, with the lawsuits filed by investors who alleged shady practices and by neighbors whose views were being blocked off by the building, with the experience of seeing the actual edifice as it nears--excruciatingly slowly--completion, and with my increasing awareness of the extent to which the locals feel violated by it, my disdain for the place has only increased. But enough about that.)

Back to Lavender Hill: The big advantage is that it is an easy walk to pretty much anywhere in town. And again, it's a very nice place in its own right. I do recommend renting a vehicle (but in my view, that's true almost no matter where you stay). I'll mention that the pool is tiny and cold (in January, anyway), but I'm not a pool person. But if you want convenience to shopping and restaurants and if, like most people, you plan to spend most of your daylight hours beaching and exploring, LH is a terrific option.

Seaside
Level Contributor
139 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Finalizing Accomodations-Help with options please

Of your listed, I have only stayed at LH...And LUV it! The location is killer. Good parking (cuz U need a car on this isle), and in Cruz Bay, parking is non-existant. And, while taking an after shower... pre dinner... rum, water, and lime, the incredible views of Cruz Bay on the balcony(s) will sing to U...1 of our very favorite parts of St J. To see this killa view, one must look over the boneyard, but this allows 1 to reflect on the people who have been there prior. After a day, or week, or 2 weeks, of driving to the fab beaches and hamlets of this isle, it was nice to be located in Cruz, cuz, after those relaxing WR&L's w/ those views...and being all cleaned up, it was nice to be able to walk the short distance to take a nice dinner. Also, its a short walk to the customs dock where those inclined can catch a ride to Tortola, Jost, and beyond. The rooms are very spacious, well equiped (also has beach chairs, towels, coolers), (did I mentioned the balconies? We had 3)! There is noise in Cruz Bay. We had no problem w/ the construction next door, or the noise from town. It was the antiquated ferry motors that annoyed. Great home base to explore the wonders that is ST. John.

6. Re: Finalizing Accomodations-Help with options please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2010, 08:17