We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I make it to the last car barge on time . . .

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Can I make it to the last car barge on time . . .

We are arriving on St. Thomas at 3:18 pm on Friday, May 26, 2010. We will not be checking bags and are renting a Jeep from Dependable Car Rental. I am neurotic and paranoid when it comes to hitting my travel windows. Given these variables, is it reasonable for us to try to make the last car barge from Red Hook or am I dreaming?

Holland, MI
Level Contributor
1,223 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I make it to the last car barge on time . . .

I'm not sure how many barges are currently operating but you should have no problem at all. It's best to get a one way ticket because there are 2 or 3 companies and you're never sure which one is there when you are.

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,761 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I make it to the last car barge on time . . .

I think you will have no problem, as long as you leave with your car by 4:00 you should be in great shape

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I make it to the last car barge on time . . .

Thanks much. I had visions of being stuck in the Havensight cruise passenger mish-mash as the last barge pulled away.

Downingtown...
Level Contributor
295 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I make it to the last car barge on time . . .

There shouldn't be many cruise ships if any on a Friday.

covington ga
Level Contributor
338 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I make it to the last car barge on time . . .

suggest you spend a few minutes with the nice folks at dependable and get directions for mid mountain rte since friday afternoon traffic in tutu mall costuless area can be awful. 1st 4 legs are nobrainer, lv dependable on shoreline toward cruise dock, turn left at traffic light just past end of 4 lane east bound by the parking area, go about 4 to 6 blocks and through at least 1 traffic signal to stop sign; turn left on mafolie rd, after passing mafolie hotel take 1st major right at crest of hill (almost blind turn) and you'll pass the habor overlook. don't remember exactly from there but seems like there are 2 slight rights (all rds with nos.) and then a very hard left turn at stop sign onto the rd leading from tutu. follow that rd to redhook. easy left turn into ferry area. when you get to new buildings cut into the hill on the right, you're about there.

we have arrived several times on 4pm from atl and made the 5:30 barge when baggage not delayed, but we know the way.

good luck

papabou

Edited: 26 January 2010, 22:22
covington ga
Level Contributor
338 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can I make it to the last car barge on time . . .

in followup to prior post, here's newly posted stt map

virgin-islands-on-line.com/st/st-thomas-map.…

mafolie rd is rte 35, right turn past mayfolie is rte 40 then right when 42 runs in from left and finally hard left on 38 which goews to red hook.

papabou

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,715 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can I make it to the last car barge on time . . .

No need to get stuck in country from town traffic on Weymouth Rhymer Highway or take Mafolie- If there are no ships in on that Friday then the best bet is to go through Havensight and via Frenchman's Bay Road.

covington ga
Level Contributor
338 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can I make it to the last car barge on time . . .

good point but i still await my arrival date when there are not ships inport but i expect soon as more ships are using crown bay.

papabou

vermont
Level Contributor
69 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can I make it to the last car barge on time . . .

My flight gets in at 2PM on a Sat (Feb 20) - we pick up the Jeep at Discount Car Rental and then we were hoping to go food shopping before heading over to St John before the last barge - Do you seasoned travelers think we are pushing the food shop?

louisiana
Level Contributor
69 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Can I make it to the last car barge on time . . .

vinow.com/general_usvi/interisland_ferry/#St. John Car Barge: Red Hook to Cruz Bay

According to this link there are a few that leave as late as 7pm.Is this not the case.My flight arrives around 4pm I was counting on the late barge.