We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WiFi or Verizon mobile broadband coverage?

Bloomsburg
Level Contributor
515 posts
264 reviews
Save Topic
WiFi or Verizon mobile broadband coverage?

Hi. Does anyone know if we will be able to use our Verizon mobile broadband service on St. John (Maho, and most of the week on the South side overlooking Fish Bay). Alternatively, any resident experts know of nice places to grab a bite to eat, have a drink and use legit. free WiFi? Lastly, where do the locals like to eat and get groceries? Traveling to St. John in less than 3 weeks..........can't wait!

Thank you.

Bonnie

St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
8,036 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: WiFi or Verizon mobile broadband coverage?

No Verizon service in VI. AT&T and Sprint.

salem, ma
Level Contributor
84 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: WiFi or Verizon mobile broadband coverage?

I got a pay as you go phone from AT&T for our vacation and it worked about 99% of the time. Sometimes texts were delayed but no big issues.

3. Re: WiFi or Verizon mobile broadband coverage?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 June 2014, 16:35
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for St. John, Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
3,177 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: WiFi or Verizon mobile broadband coverage?

South shore is pretty much a dead zone for most mobile service. On the West End I get okay ATT data service when I have line of sight to STT. In Coral Bay I get awesome data service as long as I have line of sight to the Bordeaux Mt. tower.

The Tap Room has free wifi and a comfortable spot to work a bit.

Cheers, RickG

Bloomsburg
Level Contributor
515 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: WiFi or Verizon mobile broadband coverage?

Thank you Rick, Toes...., and everyone for your responses. I have since found out that the villa we are renting has WiFi service! I do not expect to be using it much, in fact we are even thinking of leaving the laptop at home. Mongoose Junction sounds a good place when down in Cruz Bay.

Rick or any other resident experts, where are your favorite places to eat? (We can eat anything..........we love fresh seafood, but also burgers, pizza, etc.).

Thank you again.

Bonnie

Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
259 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: WiFi or Verizon mobile broadband coverage?

Verizon has service in the BVI's...I could sometimes get bars if I went outside and pointed the phone towards Tortola....but otherwise Verizon was a dead zone on St. John.

Morehead, Kentucky
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: WiFi or Verizon mobile broadband coverage?

Give the Lime Tree Inn a try, it's my favorite and Margarita Phils is a very close second.

Brooklyn NY
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: WiFi or Verizon mobile broadband coverage?

Re Verizon - no service in Fish Bay, except if you as you start up Gift Hill Road (Rt 104). Ok in Cruz Bay and North Shore Beaches. Be very careful in Coral Bay, East End, Lamshur areas - you may be picking up cell tower in Tortola and get hit for Int'l roaming charges.

9. Re: WiFi or Verizon mobile broadband coverage?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2010, 05:16