We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just arrived on island - Day 14

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
322 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Just arrived on island - Day 14

Winds blew overnight - lights were off in Coral Bay but our house is solar powered, so no problems. I'm sittling on the deck, with bug spray and wrapped in a sheet writing this while looking at the lights of Soper's Hole and Tortola, Virgin Gorda, the boats at Pirates Bite on Norman and Coral Bay shinning in the distance.

Husband and I spent the day driving around and taking pictures from all the overlooks we could find. We drove through town, stopped for a meat pate and conch fritters, and drove thorough Coral Bay, past Guy Benjamin School, past the turtle rock and out to Vies and back past Shipwreck and to Miss Lucy's. Then back to the house to pack up and clean up after ourselves.

We talked about all of our adventures the past two weeks and just how much fun and laughter we had and how many people we met along the way that made this trip so special and memorable.

When our toes first hit the sand at the ferry dock two weeks ago, and I posted that first "topic" we never imagined that we would be writing Day 14.

We have met so many wonderful people the last two weeks. The generosity of spirit on this island is everywhere. We leave here enriched by everyone who we have met. We will miss the old friends we got to know even better, and the new friends both on island and from up north who have crossed our paths.

One of my favorite stories was told by a local who was saying she had finally give up her driver's license up north and get one for USVI. She said she hadn't "studied" the driver's manual yet but her friends were helping her out and she swears this is true. She said the test was pretty much standard except for the following question: "How long is it appropriate to stop and talk to friends on the road?"

and the correct answer is: "Not too long".

I hope I have followed the USVI rules and not stopped too long on the road with these postings. Your words of support and encouragement havebeen greatly appreciated. To all of you who have been to St John, to those of you who will be returning, and to you "newbies", my husband and I wish you safe travels and many adventures filled with laughter, love and post card experiences. It is true, when you step foot on St. John, you are changed forever. Who would have ever thought that this time, some of the changes would have come from people I've never met. Thank your all for your generosity of spirit. Much gratitude to you all.

Camillus, NY
Level Contributor
800 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just arrived on island - Day 14

Ok, now I want to LIVE there. You got me all teary-eyed!

I am a semi-newbie. Years ago my husband and I vacationed on St. Thomas and took the ferry over to St. John at least twice in a week. We always said we would be back some day.

Every year we get out of the cold and explore new destinations. When we do, we like to get away from the touristy parts and get to know the "real" place.

I have a feeling St. John is going to be our place to return to again and again.

We will be there next week, and I so appreciated reading your posts every day. Don't think I will be able to do the same, but I will right a trip-report, for sure!

Thanks again, heading home today?

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,947 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just arrived on island - Day 14

I have so enjoyed your reports. You "get it" and that is such a wonderful feeling.

St. John is a vey special place, I am fortunate to have called it home for several years, and even more fortunate to hold it in my heart forever.

Safe travels!

NH
Level Contributor
848 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Just arrived on island - Day 14

Thank you for your posts- Safe travels home

Holland, MI
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just arrived on island - Day 14

I have really looked forward each day to your reports and will miss them. It's great to find another kindred soul who gets what STJ is all about and loves it like so many of us here do.

Thanks again for taking us along. Travel safely.

Central Virginia
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Just arrived on island - Day 14

Loved all of your reports. Thanks for taking the time to do them!

Ohio
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just arrived on island - Day 14

I enjoyed your stops in the road immensely! Thanks so much for sharing with us!

PA
Level Contributor
206 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just arrived on island - Day 14

Wow...you have to go home?!?!? That's not fair!!

Thank you so much for getting me thru these last few snowy weeks. I don't know what i will do without your posts. I would look for them every day!!

Whenever we go to St John, I write in my journal everyday (not so much at home), and now you have yours on line!! How great tis that!

Thank you agian and safe travels home!!

Jersey Shore, New...
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just arrived on island - Day 14

I'm sad its over for you and for me. I loved coming into work and the first thing I would do is look for your post! so glad you had a great time, I loved all your adventures. I also will be there next week and doubt very much I could even come close to writing such a great trip report. I will try to document our days, but this is our 3rd trip in 2 years and I can never seem to get a trip report going! Safe home!

Marlborough...
Level Contributor
56 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just arrived on island - Day 14

Thanks for all of your postings, I looked forward to them each day. My wife and I will be heading to St. John in April for the first time and can't wait to see this special island. Thanks again,

New Jersey
Level Contributor
282 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just arrived on island - Day 14

i look each day for your posts..i would have been there with you for a few days but cancelled flights and snow kept us home ....we are still there in spirit and your posts have helped us get thru our cancelled plans...going in april however......thanks again :))