We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip report 2/14-2/22

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Southport, North...
Level Contributor
531 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
trip report 2/14-2/22

I'll try to keep this as short as possible. Got back last night from our 5th time staying on island. This time we split our time 4/4 in Cruz Bay and Coral Bay, normally we stay closer to or in Cruz Bay. We stayed at Hillcrest Guest House our 1st 4 nights. Positives: Lovely woman named Phyllis runs the place. She picks you up at the ferry dock. Plenty of food and drink stocked upon arrival; soda's juice, beer, bacon and eggs, snacks.... Easy walk to downtown. Off street parking. Negatives: This place is fairly clean but extremely tired. Layout for our room was NOT user friendly, lots of steps ups and down, difficult to get to bathroom during the night without breaking your neck. Bed was very uncomfortable; my husband and I slept terribly and woke up each morning with many aches and pains. Very difficult walk BACK from town as house is set high up on a hill that has to be at least a 60 degree angle; maybe if I was younger, LOL.... Locked gates everywhere to the point that borders ridiculous. I understand security but this is beyond anything I have ever experienced. I felt like I was staying in Fort Knox.

Accomodations in Coral Bay were a wonderful and delightful experience. 1 bedroom apt. 1/4 mile from Skinny Legs, so easy drive to all the area has to offer. Clean, tastefully furnished, comforfortable bed, and friendly owners who while lived on the other side ( duplex ) were never intrusive. Big front and back porch with comfortable chairs to sit out in the evening and enjoy a drink and the sounds of the island.

Food: favorites in Cruz Bay: Rhumb Line, Waterfront Bistro and La Tapa for finer dining, though each place has a great app menu for just grazing. Beach Bar for late afternoon happy hour and great lunches. Fun crowd always hanging out here.

Favorites in Coral Bay: Shipwreck Landing and Agua Bistro for nice meals, though both are quite casual. Donkey Diner for breakfast, Skinny Legs for the fun and colorful crowd, and Larry's Landing for a unique and delicious lunch at a roadside hangout with a warm and friendly owner.

Enjoyed snorkeling at Salt Pond, Hawksnest, Little Lamshur Bay, and Vie's beach. Spent a fair amount of time exploring as we had a jeep for the entire time we were there. ( 1st time! ). Also, had a wonderful day excursion on Breakaway 2 over to the Baths, Pussers at Marina Cay,snorkel spot and finally The Soggy Dollar bar at Jost Van Dyke.

WE LOVED splitting our time on boths sides of the island, each has it's own special flavor. We even put in a bid for a piece of land over in Coral Bay with killer views. Still going back and forth with the seller so we'll see how that goes.

Have to start saving again so we can be back to our favorite place ever ASAP. Sorry to have missed Julie at the Beach Bar, timing didn't work out. Please feel free to send me a private message if anyone has any other questions. Guess I didn't keep this short, after all. It's too difficult to say just a little bit about this magical place!

Parker, CO
Level Contributor
790 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip report 2/14-2/22

Thanks for the trip report! Can you please name the places where you stayed? Was the 2nd place you stayed Sailview? We are staying there in 6 weeks and it sounds a lot like it and I'd love to hear more about it.

Southport, North...
Level Contributor
531 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip report 2/14-2/22

The place we stayed in Coral Bay is VRBO # 92325. It says "Walk to secluded beach". I would highly recommend it!

GA
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip report 2/14-2/22

I've stayed at the Hillcrest guesthouse on st. john also and i loved it. I will admit while the hill is a bit difficult to walk up and down there is another way to go that is a beautiful walk and much easier (for older people). The owner Phyllis was one of the most friendly and helpful people on the island that I met. If you were having problems with your sleepless nights then maybe you should have mentioned it to her and she would have tried to accomidate your needs. (did you let her know about your sleepless night? I think not). If I could give this place 6 stars I would. I have been going here for years and phyllis has become like one of the family and the hillcrest guesthouse my home.

St. John, US Virgin...
Level Contributor
18 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trip report 2/14-2/22

One of my guest told me about this posting.

Bonnie and her husband stayed in the Peaceful Retreat (Ground Floor)

There was no mention of problems with either the steps or the mattress. I wish she had come to me, I would have tried to make some adjustments.

The Peaceful Retreat (ground floor apartment) has a sunken living room (as advertised); which means there steps to the bedroom and kitchen.

The mattress topper (Lighter Living Sleep Therapy Queen Mattress Overlay) is from QVC and was very satisfying with a recent guest who had neck surgery and other orthopedic problems.

I try to make all my guest comfortable as possible.

Southport, North...
Level Contributor
531 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trip report 2/14-2/22

Well, I guess the saying"to each their own" fits the bill in this case. I personally feel that the layout of the apt. we stayed in was awful and not clear in the website description,, but we dealt with it. I didn't see the point in mentioning ( complaining ) to Phyllis about the mattress as there was nothing she could do about it. I doubt very much she would have run right out and purchased another! I'm sure there are people out there that are faithful to this particular guest house but it just wasn't for us. As I mentioned in my posting, there were certainly positive features, but not enough to warrent a return visit.

St. John, US Virgin...
Level Contributor
18 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: trip report 2/14-2/22

Yes, I would have purchased a topper or adjust your payment.

7. Re: trip report 2/14-2/22

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2010, 07:17