We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay on St. John?

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hoxie, Kansas
Level Contributor
254 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay on St. John?

My husband and I are hoping to travel to St. John, possibly in October or November of this year to celebrate paying off a 30 year mortgage! We are looking at a budget of around 2,000-2,500 for 5 or 6 nights. Would like to have a pool and fairly easy access to the beach with ocean view if possible. We really want to explore all of the beaches we possibly can on this trip. We will rent a vehicle if we can find something reasonable. Caneel seems a little above our price range. What about The Westin or maybe a small villa with pool? Thanks for any advice.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
311 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay on St. John?

Congratulations, For 2 of you that price range and time of year you should be able to get a small villa with a pool. Check out some of the villa rental sites, Viva, Caribbean Villas, etc. Till you find a few you like, then ask for opinions.

Most of the villas will have an ocean view of some kind, but very few are going to have easy access to the beach. Happy hunting!

One recommend – We stayed at Island Time Villa, last november, it was great.

I'm sure others will chime in.

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,721 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay on St. John?

I think that with that budget, a villa is the way to go. You will need to rent a car though, so that may affect your budget.

STJ is 2/3rds National Park. What that means for villa renters is that there are few private villas on the beach and those that are carry a very high price tag.

The majority of villas on island are hillside, affording you beautiful views and breezes. You drive to the beautiful beaches of the island where, with the exception of Trunk and Cinnamon, you are greeted with just beach. No bars or restaurants or shops, just sand, palm trees, and perfectly blue water.

You will find that jeep rentals are all abou the same price, no great deals out there really. If you decide to not rent a car, you will be limited to where you can stay, as taxis do not go to all villa locations.

Island Time is a great choice, as the price for 2 is under $2000 and then you have the money for a jeep rental.

Morgan Point is a great option as well

http://carefreegetaways.com/morganpoint.html

You also may want to check out Gallows Point.

www.villafish.com is a great site to plug in your dates and your wants and they can show you what is available

palm springs
Level Contributor
1,060 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay on St. John?

I just came back from St John and would say renting a villa ia a way to go. We visited Caneel Bay and loved it....it is truly beautiful....but truly expensive. SO your next best thing is to rent a villa.....and there are many to choose from in your price range that time of year. You will be blown away by the beauty of St John.

Hoxie, Kansas
Level Contributor
254 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay on St. John?

Thank you all so much! I have done a little checking on Island Time-It looks lovely. I was just a little concerned about the location. Actually, we don't care so much about being right on the beach but would like at least a partial view of the water. We like to hike and were also wondering if there is a trail that leads to several different beaches. I have ordered the St. John Beach Guide to help pass the time until we actually take the trip. Again, thanks so much for the links and advice.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,164 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay on St. John?

Another option to look at is Estate Lindholm B&B...pretty views, great (though expensive) restaurant, and walking distance to town (though I wouldn't walk on these roads at night).

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,721 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay on St. John?

Are you looking at the right Island Time? It has a full on view of the water.

caribbeanvillas-stjohn.com/IslandTime/Island…

There is so much hiking to do on island, you will not run out of places to go and beaches to see.

Providence, RI
Level Contributor
42 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay on St. John?

Hey! Just got back from my 7th trip to St John...I think the advice the others gave is right-on. Go with a villa. There are many to choose from. I went through Villa Fish and found them to be very helpful. (I rented Bay House in Coral Bay.) There are plenty of hiking trails all over St John, so you'll have no trouble there. One of our favorites is getting to the petroglyphs (ancient rock carvings) from Little Lameshur Bay, all the way at the end of the road past Coral Bay, rather than taking the Reef Bay hike. I've never been a big fan of fancy resorts. I'm sure Caneel Bay is nice, but you pay crazy money and get little for it. We stayed at the Westin a few nights with my Starwood points, so I didn't pay the $700 a night they wanted. I have to say, the service was terrible and I would only go back on points. Food at their restaurants was mediocre, and we had to call housekeeping 6 times over 2 days to finally get our rooms cleaned. There are many great restaurants on St John to choose from. I'm a foodie, so tell me what you like and I can give you many choices. St John is one of my favorite places on this planet...I hope you find it as amazing as I do! Good luck!

Edited: 12 March 2010, 01:30
Hoxie, Kansas
Level Contributor
254 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay on St. John?

There really are some great villas, thank you all for the advice. Island time does look awesome as do several others! Now we just need to figure out the date. I hope to go in OCtober or November. It will be a dream come true for us and may be our only opportunity to get to the Caribbean. Again, thanks to all.

United States
Level Contributor
415 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay on St. John?

I have heard a lot of great things about A House of Open Arms in Coral Bay - have not stayed there but it is on my list.

Hoxie, Kansas
Level Contributor
254 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay on St. John?

Thank you, I will check it out. I'm not sure I can wait until fall. Is is too hot to go in the summer, say June or July?